Mike Treps Has Died

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't say enough good things about this guy. He was a class act.

Mike Treps, a 1956 Oklahoma grad, retired in 1998 after 27 years as director of media information, sports information director and assistant athletic director at OU.

NORMAN - Former University of Oklahoma broadcaster and publicist Mike Treps has passed away at the age of 81.
Treps retired in 1998 after 27 years as director of media information, sports information director and assistant athletic director at OU.

cdn2.newsok.biz_cache_w300_ac6b1c6218ba2e47fb3d5129f97799ac.jpg

The 1956 Oklahoma graduate also spent many years as one of the voices of Sooner football on their radio broadcasts, delivering the most famous call in Sooner history in 1975, when Joe Washington's remarkable 71-yard touchdown run against Missouri on Nov. 15, 1975, lifted the Sooners to a 28-27 victory. Treps yelling, “Run, Joe, run!” has become part of Sooner lore.

“On behalf of everyone associated with Oklahoma Athletics, we extend our heartfelt condolences to the family of Mike Treps,” OU athletic director Joe Castiglione said in a release.
“Mike poured his heart and soul into the Sooners for many years in a number of roles. A proud OU graduate, Mike served his alma mater working in the OU Athletics department as director of sports information after beginning his tenure at OU working as the university’s director of media information.

“Mike will be fondly remembered by Oklahoma fans for spending 24 seasons as a member of the OU Football radio broadcast team and the voice of Oklahoma Baseball for 17 years.
His lasting contributions to Oklahoma Athletics will always be appreciated by Sooners everywhere.”
Treps began his career at OU in 1972 as the director of media information. He joined OU Athletics in 1972 as director of media information.

Treps was on the radio broadcast team for four different OU national championship teams - three in football (1974, 1975 and 1985) and one in baseball (1994).
An area of the press box at L. Dale Mitchell Park was dedicated in his honor in 2003 and is known as the Mike Treps Media Room.

“Baseball is my favorite sport because it's not in a hurry, there's no clock,” Treps told The Oklahoman in 2007. “You can take your time watching it. You can decipher it. You can cut it to pieces. You can inspect it. You can have fun with it, whereas in football and basketball, as much as I love those sports, it's hurry, hurry, hurry. You've got a clock to beat and there's really no time to visit.”

Treps told The Oklahoman in 2010 that calling the College World Series was very meaningful for him.
“That was a great thrill, because I've been broadcasting for so many years and baseball being my favorite sport and to win a national championship like that, it’s the most exciting moment I ever had,” Treps said.

Treps worked as an OU football analyst with both John Brooks and the late Bob Barry Sr.

“I just can't say enough things about Mike Treps,” Barry said when Treps retired from OU. “If you can endure long enough, people feel like they've come to know you. The longer you're associated with a school, especially if they're winning, they love you.”

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RIP Mike Treps. I spent many a Saturday afternoon listening to Mike Treps and John Brooks call OU football games on the radio.

Brooks and Treps, great radio combo.

Yes sirs

In those Big8 days you usually only saw OU on TV maybe 3 or 4 times max and had to listen to the radio for most games.
I did buy tickets to watch OU play Kansas on closed circuit in Lloyd Noble one year.
It was either 75 or 76, can't remember, the year Nolan Cromwell was a senior.

Mostly, you either attended the game or listened to the radio broadcast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom