Should OU suspend basketball players for useing "N" word on national TV?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're dismissing the fact that forbidding the use of the word by one group while condoning it for another builds resentment.

My entire point is the word isn't "forbidden" by anyone but middle-aged white conservatives who buy into "reverse racism", and a very small, self-righteous subset of lefties. Like the "feminists" who assert all penetrative sex is rape. Sure, they're out there, but they don't have the power to bring nationwide/worldwide fallout, and they are ridiculous.

OU SAE boys made international news. They did not make international news because they used the word "******". Period. That is evident to anyone who doesn't have some woe-is-me-white-man axe to grind.

They could have used the word in a hundred other contexts on video and you would not know who they were right now, much less people across the globe. They could have even used it offensively and in a racist manner and been fine.

That's the only point I'm making in this particular thread. "that word" alone cannot get you in SAE-level trouble. Conservatives tend to be all kinds of hyperbolic about their perceived racial double standards. Life ain't that bad for the white man. I know because I are juan, as mausermike would say. :D

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My entire point is the word isn't "forbidden" by anyone but middle-aged white conservatives who buy into "reverse racism", and a very small, self-righteous subset of lefties. Like the "feminists" who assert all penetrative sex is rape. Sure, they're out there, but they don't have the power to bring nationwide/worldwide fallout, and they are ridiculous.

OU SAE boys made international news. They did not make international news because they used the word "******". Period. That is evident to anyone who doesn't have some woe-is-me-white-man axe to grind.

They could have used the word in a hundred other contexts on video and you would not know who they were right now, much less people across the globe. They could have even used it offensively and in a racist manner and been fine.

That's the only point I'm making in this particular thread. "that word" alone cannot get you in SAE-level trouble. Conservatives tend to be all kinds of hyperbolic about their perceived racial double standards. Life ain't that bad for the white man. I know because I are juan, as mausermike would say. :D

Pop culture in the media disagrees with you, but then they disagree with most dinosaurs who refuse to convert themselves into fuel for the machine...

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The SAW boys could have said "African American" instead and still brought on the same our very similar fate. It's it far and away about context, not the exact word.

I like to debate a point as much as the next guy, but playing devil's advocate for the other side on this one is a losing battle.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What was the reason cited? Racism? What form did the racism take? Words...

It was actually a "hostile environment" or something similar. Less about the words and more about excluded protected classes from student organization and talks of lynching (which I concede were probably empty but still it's idiotic).

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay my turn.

Why do we not see crap fly when the term honky or cracker is used?

If the frat boys had been singing a nice song and using the "N" word would all be okay? I doubt it, we do have words that are okay for some but not others.

Tell me I am wrong, I was born and spent more than a few years in East LA , being just a few of the white folks in the area as a kid repeating the same stuff I heard daily lead to a fight or two. How do we explain that?

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it offended them, then yes they should be suspended. But if someone else said it Obama would be involved. The "N" word is wrong and I don't like it but for Boren to take such draconian measures is a bit much.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The two situations aren't equal. It's the cultural processes in ingroup vs. outgroup dynamics. Many things that are ok between ingroup members are not ok with somebody outside the group. The frat situation is clearly racist...whereas the basketball situation is not. For example, I can call many of my friends on this forum a "redneck bastard" and we'll laugh together; but if a black stranger were to call one of those friends a "redneck bastard", it would surely lead to a fight.

There is a double standard. Kind of like how it is not culturally acceptable to smash a woman's face in. Even if she deserves it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom