shoulder surgery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If that is Superior Labrum Anterior Posterior,
I had three tears in my labrum.
yes, i had it done about 6 years ago along with a bicep tendonesis.
over Two weeks with extreme pain, three months of therapy 2 1/2 months until I could go back to work
three years until it didn't hurt almost to the date

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I started PT 3 days after surgery, and go twice per week. I also have a circulating ice machine that squeezes and releases as well. I’m not a huge fan of pain medication. However, I’ve had to take it. I had my hip scoped a few years ago. Pain wise that was much better than this(for me anyway) the worry I’m having is my shoulder feels really unstable, “sloppy” may be a better way to describe it. Coupled with some pretty good biceps pain. (I’m still in the big pillow sling)

*I’m not trying to drum up medical advice. Just experiences. However, any suggestions are more than welcome.

As always thank ya all.

Reaction score
If that is Superior Labrum Anterior Posterior,
I had three tears in my labrum.
yes, i had it done about 6 years ago along with a bicep tendonesis.
over Two weeks with extreme pain, three months of therapy 2 1/2 months until I could go back to work
three years until it didn't hurt almost to the date
Yes, same surgery, minus moving the bicep tendon. 5 anchors in labrum

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had one shoulder done in 2009, one in 2013. About the same- did lots of stretching and followed the instructions. Not a fun trip, thought I was going to have to get the right on done again last year. Wife put me on to a great physical therapy center and I got back on track.

Pretty well do what I want, but no heavy bench presses are in my future.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Howdy and happy holidays,

Random so I hope im posting in the correct place....Anyone had a shoulder SLAP repair? I'm about a month out from surgery, and not real sure where I should be on the recovery scale.

Many thanks in advance!
One month out and still in the sling. You should be working on basically passive ROM only. Soft tissue repairs can take about 12 weeks to fully heal. The biceps pain your having is a result of the sling and the surgery. If you didn't catch it, the long head of the biceps attaches to the labrum where you had the surgery.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I started PT 3 days after surgery, and go twice per week. I also have a circulating ice machine that squeezes and releases as well. I’m not a huge fan of pain medication. However, I’ve had to take it. I had my hip scoped a few years ago. Pain wise that was much better than this(for me anyway) the worry I’m having is my shoulder feels really unstable, “sloppy” may be a better way to describe it. Coupled with some pretty good biceps pain. (I’m still in the big pillow sling)

*I’m not trying to drum up medical advice. Just experiences. However, any suggestions are more than welcome.

As always thank ya all.

I might mention that there is a fine line between "enough" and "too much" when it comes to PT. The first time I went to PT I started moving backwards, as they say, pretty quick. Lots of swelling, "sticking", and a ton of pain all the time, even at rest. PT guy starts grilling me. He told me to do the stretching and manual manipulations twice a day. I was doing them 5 times a day. 🤦😂😂😂 What can I say? I'm an overachiever. Lol

Every time I've gone to PT since I have had to fight the almost obsessive urge to do whatever they want from me more often than they tell me to do it. (But I still do whatever a time -- or two -- more often than they tell me. 🤷) Like if I'm supposed to do something twice a day, if I'm feeling good and not hurting too bad I'll do it 3 times in a day. 🤗 Don't judge me -- I'm terrified of winding up like my grandma -- frail and unable to get out of bed. She wound up that way because she flatly refused to do any physical therapy because "it hurts". 😢 She was such a pain in the ass -- but I still miss her. She was the sanest relative I had and I was her favorite because I would sit and sew with her for DAYS.

ark-and-spark

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had both shoulders done last year. One in October the other in December. I was back at work after a week. I didn’t do much but was back.

I’m still on the mend. I didn’t do the pt and probably have suffered an extended recovery because of that.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all your replies. Surgery can feel, mmmm isolating. Injury happened from a lifting incident at work. I do a pretty manual job. Recovery seems slow, I know i'm only about a month but the lack of activity is rough. I like to think I'm younger than I am and recover quick. Prior to the injury I was lifting about 2-3 days a week with cardio, and BJJ 2-3 times a week. I'm worried I wont be able to get back to that level. I have heard, and read that sometimes the bicep just wont "calm down" post surgery. And they have to go back in and move it for pain relief. I really hope that is not the case, and I know i'm putting the cart way before the horse so to speak.

I met with two different surgeons prior to landing on one. The first wanted to go in a repair the labrum and move the bicep attachment point. The second (same fella that did my hip) opted to repair the labrum, and if it was a must move the bicep attachment. But if he didn't have to he wouldn't. I obviously went with the least aggressive in my mind, trying to leave "natural anatomy" alone.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all your replies. Surgery can feel, mmmm isolating. Injury happened from a lifting incident at work. I do a pretty manual job. Recovery seems slow, I know i'm only about a month but the lack of activity is rough. I like to think I'm younger than I am and recover quick. Prior to the injury I was lifting about 2-3 days a week with cardio, and BJJ 2-3 times a week. I'm worried I wont be able to get back to that level. I have heard, and read that sometimes the bicep just wont "calm down" post surgery. And they have to go back in and move it for pain relief. I really hope that is not the case, and I know i'm putting the cart way before the horse so to speak.

I met with two different surgeons prior to landing on one. The first wanted to go in a repair the labrum and move the bicep attachment point. The second (same fella that did my hip) opted to repair the labrum, and if it was a must move the bicep attachment. But if he didn't have to he wouldn't. I obviously went with the least aggressive in my mind, trying to leave "natural anatomy" alone.

Give it time. You cannot rush it. I've been through four shoulder surgeries ... three on my left shoulder in a seven-month period! Take it easy, and do the PT as instructed. It's gonna' seem like you are getting nowehere for some time, but progress will come. Be patient. I know ... that's easy to say. Four shoulder surgeries and two hip surgeries, and PT after each one. Trust your therapist and listen to them. They really do know what they're doing. Good luck!

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You're going to give yourself ulcers if worry too much. Do the PT and listened to your Dr.

Latest posts

Top Bottom