SHTF reloading setup...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've decided I'm going to add a small reloading setup to my Bug Out Kit. Considering the long history of the 38/357, the ability to be a good hunting round and the addition of my accurate Lever 357 and 19-2, this seems like a great idea.

The ability to scavenge wheel weights, melt them in a camp fire and then reload on a single stage, makes this seem like a great idea.

Any major issues I'm overlooking with this idea? I'm thinking it will only add 30 lbs to my gear, but can all me to load 3-5K bullets.

Just thinking out loud...

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many pounds of wheel weights do you suppose it would take to make 3-5k projectiles? hint: 7000 grains to a pound

Also, lead wheel weights are being replaced by steel and zinc wheel weights.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lee Hand press is such a far and away better choice. Weighs 1.5lbs and takes up less space than a box of tissue.

Last edited:

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
not saying its not a good idea, but the way i look at it, i will reload while the world is intact; simply to save money and shoot more. way i see it, if the world goes to hell, i will have what i have when it happens, and regardless if i can find projectiles or make them, i have no way of making primers, or powder... when its gone its gone. for what its worth. i would say a 22lr will allow you to hunt enough small game to stay alive, and you can carry enough ammo for many years if you conserve it.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lee Hand press is such a far and away better choice. Weighs 1.5lbs and takes up less space that a box of tissue.

[Broken External Image]

i479.photobucket.com_albums_rr155_OldFart_57_Misc_Junk_LeeLoader.jpg

As the second picture caption describes a Lee & H&R make a nice lite packable combo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom