SHTF reloading setup...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

i479.photobucket.com_albums_rr155_OldFart_57_Misc_Junk_LeeLoader.jpg

As the second picture caption describes a Lee & H&R make a nice lite packable combo.

I've used lee loaders, and own quite a few of them... however, you do get much, much, much, much better and faster results from the lee hand press and actual dies.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
30lbs of ammo is pretty heavy. And not much ammo!

30lbs of anything is heavy...LOL. I'm assuming this is a vehicle based bug out kit? Either that or the OP is a rucksacking stud!

30lbs equals about 1200 rounds of 5.56 or 1080 rounds of 9mm. That's more than 5x the basic combat load for an M4 and 24x the basic load for an M9. Not too shabby.

Problem I see with carrying 30 pounds of reloading stuff in a bug-out kit is the weight and practicality. You can't eat it, you can't shoot it, you can't live in it, it doesn't keep you warm and you need a fairly stable/permanent place to set it up and use it.

If I'm bugging out to an established location that's one thing...but I'd have the reloading supplies there already. If I'm bugging out to nowhere then I'd concentrate on things that keep me alive or make others less-alive...

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used lee loaders, and own quite a few of them... however, you do get much, much, much, much better and faster results from the lee hand press and actual dies.

Does the pistol version of the lee loader (hammer type) full length size the case? I've read that the rifle version only neck sizes; not so good if it is for multiple weapons.
Another issue could be the reloading (hammer) noise if unfriendlies were about. I think the hand press would be a much better option especially if more than one caliber is involved.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it comes down to it, I will pry up old shower pans, x-ray room lead shielding, lead sewer connections from old buildings, old battery terminals, whatever for my casting. If I had to, I would cast the dang zink wheel weights, they melt just fine in my fish cooker and cast iron pot. Just don't plan to use the mold for anything good afterwards.. The zink really fouls up your molds and won't fill out the sharp edges of the bullet like lead will. Blitzfike

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does the pistol version of the lee loader (hammer type) full length size the case? I've read that the rifle version only neck sizes; not so good if it is for multiple weapons.
Another issue could be the reloading (hammer) noise if unfriendlies were about. I think the hand press would be a much better option especially if more than one caliber is involved.

The .38/.357 does, and you have to beat the hell out of each case to get it past 2/3. I've used several .38 lee leaders and they were all like that. Then you've got to bang the hell out of case to get it free. Decapping is a separate operation. If you're broke and want to start loading it's an all-in-one way to do it. If your time is worth something to you, for God's sake get a press and a carbide die set.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .38/.357 does, and you have to beat the hell out of each case to get it past 2/3. I've used several .38 lee leaders and they were all like that. Then you've got to bang the hell out of case to get it free. Decapping is a separate operation. If you're broke and want to start loading it's an all-in-one way to do it. If your time is worth something to you, for God's sake get a press and a carbide die set.

What he said... I have used several of the hammer type loaders in metallic and shotgun. They do work and I have a couple of them put back just in case... But they are last resort for me.. Blitzfike

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can pack an ammo can full of ammo that will get you through, or you can pack 8lbs of Powder (11K rounds @ 4.9gn/case), Press, casting, and melt pot and 5K primers. This is all less then 30lbs and will give you way more then your initial ammo store.

I like the idea of being able to load ammo while at camp.

And yes, I'm talking about the Bug out kit in my truck box. I realize if I can't take the truck it's pointless, but better to prepare then wish you had

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. Curious, why 11k worth of powder but only 5k of primers? Why not cut powder weight in half and save more weight?

Latest posts

Top Bottom