SHTF reloading setup...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After reading more of this thread, I've been thinking about the reloading v. loaded ammo issue.

To reload, you have to have the supplies. Brass, primers, powder and bullets. Brass can be reused, hence "reloading". Bullets can be molded from lead. Once the primers and powder are gone, thats it. AND most importantly, the knowledge and skills to put it all together without blowing yourself or someone else up.

Then there is the equipment needed to reload. Reloader, scales, powder measure, dies, reloading data, bullet lube, case lube.

Brass: Can be re-sized using several different types of loaders. Hand press, single stage, progressive? Carry from one location to another, mounting, power supply if needed?

Bullets: Can be molded. A supply of lead has to be found. A method of heating/melting. Lead pots? What molds? Heat source? How long are the molds going to last? What calibers to load? Bullet lube? What will work best with just a lead bullet? Most all pistol caliber can be molded from lead, but rifle is a little more finicky.

Powder: How much and what type for what caliber(s)? 7000 grains per pound. For example I load .223 with 25 grains of powder. 7000 divided by 25 = 280. 280 rounds per 1 pound of powder. Doesn't seem like much does it?

Primers: I've read articles that say primers can be "reloaded"? I don't have the skills to do it or the equipment and chemicals.

In my own opinion, the skills to reload could be very useful and valuable in that type of situation, but with the equipment and supplies needed, the advantages of having loaded ammo win. I would have some quality firearms, and a supply of loaded ammunition.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well said Firecop...kinda echoes my thinking. At .35 cents-ish a round I can stash a whole lot of 5.56.

That being said, if I had a designated and secure bug-out location, I would probably include some reloading supplies....especially for shotgun shells to use for hunting/gathering (a situation where I'd be more likely to be able to recover my spent cases)

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can pack an ammo can full of ammo that will get you through, or you can pack 8lbs of Powder (11K rounds @ 4.9gn/case), Press, casting, and melt pot and 5K primers. This is all less then 30lbs and will give you way more then your initial ammo store.
What about projectiles? Lead don't grow on trees ya know...

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about projectiles? Lead don't grow on trees ya know...

Actually lead is rolling all around you on the road!

I never said that my reloading setup was to replace the need of loaded ammo, just that a nice cache of prime supplies should be considered as well. When picking your caliber, it should be one for both pistol and rifle. This is where the 38/357 comes in to the discussion.

The ability to cast and reload a versital round like the 38/357 would come in handy once loaded ammo is exhausted.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lyman 310 tong tool is lighter and smaller than the Lee Hand Loader. I believe they are still being made. Still have the one I started out with in 1966.

Michael

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that a cache is a good idea. I just don't think I'd use up that space in a mobile, bugout type kit. Weight matters....30 pounds per your OP is a lot.

How long have been using the non-lead tire weights now?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually lead is rolling all around you on the road!

I never said that my reloading setup was to replace the need of loaded ammo, just that a nice cache of prime supplies should be considered as well. When picking your caliber, it should be one for both pistol and rifle. This is where the 38/357 comes in to the discussion.

The ability to cast and reload a versital round like the 38/357 would come in handy once loaded ammo is exhausted.

I don't know how much stuff you are planning to kill - but a 5lb/550 bulk pack of 22LR will last a lifetime of hunting/surviving: dead is dead - 5-foot fireball from 357 or sound of falling firing pin in suppressed rimfire.

If you are seriously worried about running out of ammo - take up archery.

Latest posts

Top Bottom