SIG Sauer Mosquito

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GomerPyle

Marksman
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience with the SIG Mosquito .22 LR pistol? I have read some bad reviews on them concerning jamming/feeding problems. When I was looking at them the counter guy said they were designed to work well with the 'hotter' .22 loads.

Maybe someone else has already asked this question. If so, please direct me to that post.:explode:

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience with the SIG Mosquito .22 LR pistol? I have read some bad reviews on them concerning jamming/feeding problems. When I was looking at them the counter guy said they were designed to work well with the 'hotter' .22 loads.

Maybe someone else has already asked this question. If so, please direct me to that post.:explode:

A good rule of thumb concerning semi-auto .22's:

If the seller tells you it works well with 'hotter' loads (i.e. CCI Mini-mags, Stingers, etc), that is code for...

"its junk and wont recycle bulk ammo"

If you have to pay $7-$10 for a box of ammo (50 rds) for a .22lr to function properly, then its junk and that defeats the whole purpose of owning one. After all, its for plinking right?

Stay with a Browning or Ruger if you want reliability.

I owned a Mosquito and coudn't get rid of it fast enough.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My experience with the SIG Mosquito would say...go check out the Walther P22...or better yet as was already suggested, the Browning or Ruger.

P22's are hit & miss, pun intended :D

I have owned a couple, one was great and the other was CRAP!

Also, the crap P22 I had was a very early first gen. and the good one I had was a recent model, so maybe they hadn't worked the bugs out when I owned the early model :anyone:

Strictly my $.02

watchcollector1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to me the P22 had to do with the magazines...there is a way to tell which is which...just dont remember.

The SIG unfortunately...well I think it is more than just the magazine design.

Be safe though...Browning or Ruger.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Sig mosquito and I loved the way it felt in my hand, but I could not keep it from jamming. I bought CCIs which shoot great in my P22 and it still jammed. I changed out the spring and it still jammed. I talked to a friend on the pd who shoots alot and I asked him how to keep it from jamming and he said "yep, sale it" and that is what I did. Took it to the gun show and as soon as I walked in the door I had people on it. I guess some people like them. I will not buy another.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one that works but it took a little effort. It's finicky about ammo, needs to be kept clean (every 200 rounds or so) and they must be well lubed with a good light oil. It's a fun pistol. I'd recommend it for someone who has the patience to make it go, for others I'd have to go with the Ruger or Browning recommendation.

Sig-man

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both the Mosquito and the P22. Personally, I have never had any problems with the Mosquito. No matter the ammo, it goes thru it. The Walther, on the other hand, not so good.

Just my .02.

TurboSixPiston

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The vast majority of people will say the Mosquito is one of the worst pistols SIG has ever produced. Might be okay by some standards, but it is certainly not the flawless operation SIG is known for.

The SIG Trailside was made, or at least designed, by a company called Hammereli, and is phenomenal. It was discontinued upon introduction of the Mosquito, but they are still floating around. My co-worker has owned both, and I've personally fired the Trailside, as well as watched him fire it, hundreds of times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom