SIG Sauer Mosquito

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteraugusts

New to the site!
Reaction score
I purchased a Sig Sauer Mosquito 22 LR this week.The grips, feel and balance are really good. The pistol also field strips in seconds and the accuracy is pretty good but the bad thing about this pistol is that the pistol only comes with one magazine and new ones are around $40 before tax and/or shipping.

OSU Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have put a little over 300 rounds down range with my mosquito and it functions well with the recommended CCI mini-mags. Bulk .22lr is a different story. I dont think it can be beat for training with a nearly full size pistol without the cost of certerfire ammo. I know CCI is more expensive than bulk .22lr, but you pay $7 for 100 versus $22 for 100 of 9mm. However if your main carry pistol has a .22lr conversion I think that is the way to go.

shoothog

New to the site!
Reaction score
I bought a Mosquito with threaded muzzle to add a suppressor. Ended up staying CCI Mini-mags. Took several hundred rounds to start feeding better. I would not recommend one and would also go with a Ruger if starting over.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mosquito goes back for factory repairs tomorrow. Has never worked great, FTL, FTE, FTF on every magazine I've put through it. CCI mini mag didn't matter, always had problems.

Called customer support and went through the history of problems and got an RMA to return it.

In about 3-4 weeks will find out if it will be a keeper and a shooter or not.

bwcaq

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My experience w/ the Mosquito:

1) A few hundred rounds of CCI to start with. A variety of failures with every mag for a couple hundred rounds. Lots of cussing.

2) Starts running better so I thought I'd try bulk ammo. Not bad w/ the Federal, but no luck w/ the Golden Bullets. Might as well throw those at the target. Less cussing.

3) Several hundred rounds downrange and it's running great w/ the Federal, but the slide won't lock back after the last round. Hmmm.....still some cussing.

4) Called Sig thinking maybe it was a bad mag. CS guy asks me if I use a high two-thumbed grip. Light bulb goes on, but they send me another mag to be safe. Pretty good experience w/ their CS dept actually.

5) Got the new mag (polymer....really???) and give it a go. "Didn't that guy say something about how I might be riding the slide release a little?" I ask myself. Yep...I was. The silly thing probably worked great for the last few months, but my stubborn self didn't think to ask for directions so to speak. Both mags are fine, and the gun runs like a champ!! Who knew? No cussing at all now.

All in all it was worth the effort. A little CCI here, a couple of bulk boxes of Federal there, and I've got a .22 that I really enjoy shooting. Provided I don't feed it Remington then we can stay pals and I won't have to use such language. :)

Celer_Silens_Mortalis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Sig .22's need to be on the market for a while longer. They are new. Dont give up them yet. I do not own one, but i have seen plenty of the sigs not function, but also as another posting said, its a semi auto 22. The rugers seem to work the best but most people want a 22 that looks like their favorite gun ya know.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My rimfire section response...

The P22 and Mosquito arent going to be the bestest .22lr pistols. If you want constant reliability go for a browning or ruger .22.

That said, I have had a P22 for a couple of years now and it eats anything I give to it. Pretty damn accurate for a cheap little .22. As awlays, YMMV.

Latest posts

Top Bottom