Sig's GSR 1911s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started a thread about this a long time ago, but can't find it (or any other threads specific to Sig's 1911s).

So I'm trying to talk myself out of a 1911, and since I'm such a Sig fanboy, I'm really looking hard at the GSRs.

Is there anything on these that is out of spec or non-standard that the purists would notice (feel free to chime in here Dr. Barry, OlYeller, GMT, LiliysDad, etc...)?

What are the good/bad about them? Lots of MiM or not (not that its a show-stopper necessarily)?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a pretty good read man.

And I got all excited until I went to their website and saw a bunch of external extractors :(

I wonder how much of a problem this really is though. I've been around some of the early Kimbers with horrible problems in their external extractors (and one or two that had no issues at all).

I hate to be a purist, but an external extractor on a 1911 just feels wrong.

Do they come with FP safeties (Series 80 or Schwartz)?

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I got all excited until I went to their website and saw a bunch of external extractors :(

I wonder how much of a problem this really is though. I've been around some of the early Kimbers with horrible problems in their external extractors (and one or two that had no issues at all).

I hate to be a purist, but an external extractor on a 1911 just feels wrong.

I have read that Kimber is the only company that had issues with their external extractors as far as 1911's go. When you compare the design of the Kimber and the Sig it is night and day. The Kimber EE is a very short length compared to the long length of the Sig design. I personally believe the short length of the Kimber design is why it is inferior and prone to issues. The short length likely leaves less room for tolerances. Just my theory.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with EE guns so long as they are done correctly. Kimber tried to redesign the EE 4 times before they just gave it up. S&W and Sig have had great luck with them. I definately wouldn't hesitate to carry one even though they're ugly. :D

Sig uses no MIM in their guns and they are fitted just as well as a SA TRP by the example I have. In fact, you get a number of small things you don't see on guns in it's price range. Bevelling, crowning, checkering etc. In fact I have a GSR Target that came with mags that had coated followers. To me, they are a bit ugly but they do grow on you, and they are a really good value IMHO.

BigBoreOkie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sig 1911 is a great pistol. I've owned one for about a year now, maybe. It's been 100 percent reliable so far, thru about 1000 rounds. All ball ammo, mixed between a few different brands, some of them commercial reloads. The only drawback I have ever heard from them is that the slide is not a standard contour so it won't fit all holsters. Sig uses no MIM parts and slide and frame are Caspians. I got mine for well under 1000 too! I don't think there are many other 1911 that don't use MIM that are fitted as well for the same money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom