Sinead O'Connor takes her place in the Wood of Suicides.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While sad, it isn't exactly shocking. I figured this would be her end several years ago. She was a tortured soul. If this surprised you, I bet you were surprised Amy Winehouse drank herself to death.

Her and Mindy McCready should not have been a surprise to anyone. I'm surprised O'Connor made it this far.

You know which ones did surprise me? Mama Judd, Robin Williams and Anthony Bourdain. I wouldn't exactly say I was shocked, but I was surprised.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My recollection is that the abuse scandal was already very well known at this point, and the whole thing was a stunt to draw attention to herself moreso than the scandal. YMMV.

Nope, your recollection is off. She did it because it WASN'T being exposed and WASN'T very well known (as evidenced by how big of a deal it was that she did that - if it was "very well known" it wouldn't have had any controversy or impact). Also, not a stunt at all as she, herself, was also abused. She was years before it truly came to light what the Roman Catholic Church was doing.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never was a fan, but pissing off the Pope folks ain't all bad.

But - she claimed to support the IRA, then backpedaled on that a year later. She can take that up with Michael Collins now I suppose.

As someone who lost a son by suicide, I get it. Can't really say I blame her on a lot of days.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never was a fan, but pissing off the Pope folks ain't all bad.

But - she claimed to support the IRA, then backpedaled on that a year later. She can take that up with Michael Collins now I suppose.

As someone who lost a son by suicide, I get it. Can't really say I blame her on a lot of days.

I don't know you but I felt that. I have 4 kids and can't imagine; I'm so sorry for your loss.

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, your recollection is off. She did it because it WASN'T being exposed and WASN'T very well known (as evidenced by how big of a deal it was that she did that - if it was "very well known" it wouldn't have had any controversy or impact). Also, not a stunt at all as she, herself, was also abused. She was years before it truly came to light what the Roman Catholic Church was doing.
So I looked up the timeline. Some highlights:
The issue first came to widespread public attention when priest Gilbert Gauthe of Lafayette, La., received a 20-year sentence for molesting children. That same year, the National Catholic Register published an exposé and editorial on the sex abuse crisis, which was picked up and widely circulated by mainstream media.
The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) was founded in 1988, to much fanfare.
In June of 1992, the the U.S Conference of Catholic Bishops acknowledged that some bishops had attempted to cover up abuse. They also affirmed five principles for dioceses to deal with child sexual abuse, including responding promptly and openly to all allegations. All widely publicized by the media.
O'Conner went on SNL in October of 1992.
So its not accurate to say it wasn't already a well-known scandal or that nothing was being done about it before her little stunt. And no, I'm not Catholic, I make no excuse for sexual predators, and agree the Catholic Church rightly deserves all the condemnation it has received on this issue. But saying Sinead O'Conner is who brought the matter to the public's attention is like saying no one had heard of global warming before Greta Thunberg came along.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I looked up the timeline. Some highlights:
The issue first came to widespread public attention when priest Gilbert Gauthe of Lafayette, La., received a 20-year sentence for molesting children. That same year, the National Catholic Register published an exposé and editorial on the sex abuse crisis, which was picked up and widely circulated by mainstream media.
The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) was founded in 1988, to much fanfare.
In June of 1992, the the U.S Conference of Catholic Bishops acknowledged that some bishops had attempted to cover up abuse. They also affirmed five principles for dioceses to deal with child sexual abuse, including responding promptly and openly to all allegations. All widely publicized by the media.
O'Conner went on SNL in October of 1992.
So its not accurate to say it wasn't already a well-known scandal or that nothing was being done about it before her little stunt. And no, I'm not Catholic, I make no excuse for sexual predators, and agree the Catholic Church rightly deserves all the condemnation it has received on this issue. But saying Sinead O'Conner is who brought the matter to the public's attention is like saying no one had heard of global warming before Greta Thunberg came along.
true, though how many non catholics paid attention to the conference of catholic bishops do you think? How many non catholics watched the SNL episode or heard about it after? She clearly risked a lot to do what she did (and suffered for it)

But I'd argue that most people in the US and beyond paid more attention when the Boston Globe ran it's expose in 2002.

probably just depends on how you want to separate 'known' vs 'well known.' YMMV

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom