Siphoned gas and Security Cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not sure where this thread belongs, so please feel free to move it wherever it does.

Last week my wife’s 4runner was relieved of the burden of a full gas tank, and it’s renewed my wife in telling me we need security cameras. We happen to live down the (dead end) street from what must be a fairly popular drug dealer, so we were already meaning to get some.

I’m needing suggestions on what to look for, I’m the opposite of tech savvy. I know I want a hard wired system, no WiFi necessary and no subscriptions or BS cloud storage. I just want them to do their job well and reliably, and not break the bank.

Some of the brands I’ve been looking at are Swan, Night Owl, and Lorex. A built in light on the camera would be a big plus.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know much about the wired stuff but with the wi-fi stuff, you can monitor on your cell phone and even verbally interact with the person.
Usually cheaper than wired, easier to install and no wires to be cut.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before Halloween, I purchased a Night Owl system from SAMS. Before we went on vacation, the damn thing took a dump. I only got the Night Owl start screen. It is currently in for repair/replacement.

Just an FYI

Now, I am a retired security technician. I have installed mega million dollar systems all the way down to small 4 camera systems for stop n robs. It has been several years since I retired and the technology that has come about since is amazing.

I do recommend hardwired systems over wifi.

I also recommend you go with the best resolution cameras and monitor you can afford.
You need to know what technology to decide upon which cable to pull.

I don't know your layout but you will need cameras overlapping and cameras watching cameras to keep them from being vandalized. I have an 8 camera system that I can expand to 10. As it is right now, I have full 360 degree coverage of my house including the gates and driveway.

I saw an incredible camera video right after I installed these and I'm mad I didn't see them before.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before Halloween, I purchased a Night Owl system from SAMS. Before we went on vacation, the damn thing took a dump. I only got the Night Owl start screen. It is currently in for repair/replacement.

Just an FYI

Now, I am a retired security technician. I have installed mega million dollar systems all the way down to small 4 camera systems for stop n robs. It has been several years since I retired and the technology that has come about since is amazing.

I do recommend hardwired systems over wifi.

I also recommend you go with the best resolution cameras and monitor you can afford.
You need to know what technology to decide upon which cable to pull.

I don't know your layout but you will need cameras overlapping and cameras watching cameras to keep them from being vandalized. I have an 8 camera system that I can expand to 10. As it is right now, I have full 360 degree coverage of my house including the gates and driveway.

I saw an incredible camera video right after I installed these and I'm mad I didn't see them before.
What was the incredible one you saw?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know much about the wired stuff but with the wi-fi stuff, you can monitor on your cell phone and even verbally interact with the person.
Usually cheaper than wired, easier to install and no wires to be cut.
I will tell you after 15 years in the business, the ONE time you need the wifi camera to be recording, it has lost the connection. This has happened over and over and over.

You can remedy this by getting one that has an onboard SD card.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not all of us have cell phones.
But something got me thinking what about a game camera you guys post a lot of nice deer in the woods pictures.

Latest posts

Top Bottom