Siphoned gas and Security Cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a Lorex 6 camera system. All hardwired, backs up onto a DVR on the box. You can hook it into your tv and monitor your cameras and view historical footage there. If you have internet, it will also upload the footage and allow you to view the footage from your phone wherever you are. The picture/video quality is great, day and night. I get about a week and a half worth of footage from 4 cameras saved before it starts deleting footage. There’s a panic alarm, speaker, and light on each camera too, so you can make the cameras be more obvious if you wish by having the light turn on when the camera detects motion. The panic alarm will allow you to hit a button on the receiver box or on your phone, and it will turn on all the camera lights and set off a siren to let the neighborhood something is wrong. You can also listen to audio/talk to people through your cameras. They also have facial recognition, so where you can designate who certain people are (say your mailman or mother in law) and get a notification when the camera sees them. No subscription fees, setup is pretty easy, other than crawling around the attic.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here’s some pictures to give you an idea of the clarity, detail, and camera interface. It’s pretty similar on the control panel through the tv. Easy to use.

600719E2-52AF-4A30-BEBE-7284E800CE7B.png
4A78806E-B41A-4C4E-837C-4817E64BA491.png
C55C394C-F1D7-40A4-8376-0BB3225C86FD.png

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Hardwired systems are more secure. One trick complicated thieves do, is use a wifi jammer to jack your wifi cameras while they're stealing your stuff. I'd recommend a combo so you can monitor while away but can't be affected by an interruption in wifi.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken, if you can look at it on the cellphone others can too. Round abouts 30 bucks will buy you 4 solar power motion lights. Amazon .I know privacy is a thing of the past but to invite less is not my way of thinking.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are expecting from a security cam system. If you are looking to document when a crime has occurred, they are good for that. What useful information the cameras will provide to law enforcement is a bit iffy. Providing night time infra red videos to identify perps is not good unless they get up close to the camera. But you might be able to recognize a neighborhood kid or the cops might recognize a known perp with a good image.
If you are expecting to get an alert when someone comes on your property so you can intercede and stop them, you will be disappointed. Night time infra red cameras will be constantly triggering from bugs flying around the cams. They are attracted to the light. Getting alerts all night long will drive you crazy and you will soon disable that feature. Even in the daytime cameras will trigger from birds and four legged creatures passing through the cameras FOV. Even the wind blowing trees around will trigger the cams.
So my system is a wireless 4 cam one. I would prefer to have a wired one with the capability of providing power over the ethernet cable so you don't have to locate cameras near outside power outlets. It also lets you only need one UPS for the recorder. Locating wireless cameras where you want them to be looking and having a strong enough signal to reach the wireless receiver/recorder can be hard to do depending on the size of your property. You might have to use signal boosters on some cameras.
Having overlapping camera FOVs might be useful in certain circumstances. My personal opinion is it's much easier for a thief to just pull a ski mask over their face rather than running around your house disabling cams. Most crimes like your gas theft are ones of opportunity and they are not even concerned about being caught on camera cause they are probably high on something.
What I get the most use out of my system is if I hear a sound outside at night, I can check my phone or iPad to see what might be going on rather that running around the house trying to see out windows in the dark. Each morning I check my recordings to see how many deer came through my yard and if any of them were big bucks.
Fog and rain will fill your recording at night making them next to useless, but I guess you could run through the night's recording at high speed if you needed to look for something in particular.
One thing I have always been undecided about is putting up a sign saying the property is under 24 hour video surveillance. That might make some criminals decide to move on to an easier target, or it might make a savvy perp wonder what you might be hiding in your home that is worth stealing.
I’m looking to be able to see outside the home, as we don’t have view of our driveway due to the garage being an add on. We have very, very little field of view from inside.
I’m thinking about building a carport over the drive and a wraparound fence along the property that will have an automatic sliding gate at the drive entrance. Expensive and time consuming, so that will be a while.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also had a full tank of fuel stolen last summer...I bought a locking gas cap on amazon for $20.
As far as cameras, I use Nest wifi cams and have 3 of them as well a a Nest learning thermostat. I can access all of these from my phone to see camera alerts or change the setting of my thermostat.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a Lorex 6 camera system. All hardwired, backs up onto a DVR on the box. You can hook it into your tv and monitor your cameras and view historical footage there. If you have internet, it will also upload the footage and allow you to view the footage from your phone wherever you are. The picture/video quality is great, day and night. I get about a week and a half worth of footage from 4 cameras saved before it starts deleting footage. There’s a panic alarm, speaker, and light on each camera too, so you can make the cameras be more obvious if you wish by having the light turn on when the camera detects motion. The panic alarm will allow you to hit a button on the receiver box or on your phone, and it will turn on all the camera lights and set off a siren to let the neighborhood something is wrong. You can also listen to audio/talk to people through your cameras. They also have facial recognition, so where you can designate who certain people are (say your mailman or mother in law) and get a notification when the camera sees them. No subscription fees, setup is pretty easy, other than crawling around the attic.
That must be the system I was looking at. It seemed to be what I was looking for, and I’m glad someone here has some experience with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom