Smartphone tethering questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In a month or so the wife and I are planning to upgrade to smartphones, probably android - we're with Verizon.

We live way out of town and use an aircard for the internet and recently cancelled our land line. I've read quite abit online about using the smartphone for my internet connection and Verizon offers a device and monthly fee to do so. If this is a realistic alternative it will save money. I'd rather not pay for both the aircard and smartphones.

I've read some of the pros and cons but I know that many of you on here are very tech savy and I'm hoping someone has some real experience with tethering and cold give some imput.

Advice please.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tether my laptop to my android phone all the time. I also did it previously with my iPhone.

It's pretty easy, you download a tethering app, PDANet, or Easy tether are the two most popular. They are free, except that you can't use them for secure website (https). But buying them is only $5 or $6.

Be advised that if you are using the cell phone tether for your primary internet access, you are going to rack up the bandwidth. I think that Verzson has just dropped their unlimited data plans. If they haven't already, they will very very soon. When that happens, you will be charged for going over the data limit that you have.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be advised that if you are using the cell phone tether for your primary internet access, you are going to rack up the bandwidth. I think that Verzson has just dropped their unlimited data plans. If they haven't already, they will very very soon. When that happens, you will be charged for going over the data limit that you have.

That is one of my concerns. I'm looking at tethering for my primary internet connection at home.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At 5GB a month , this sites gives a little info. I use watchdog on my phone that keeps up with amount of bandwidth used a month.

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/846/63/

That's a usefull chart. Thanks. It looks as though tethering will work as well as the connection I have now which isn't great. For example, a youtube video will stop several times to load. Streaming from netflix would be almost impossible.

Although I would like to have the ability to use the internet at home to that extent. Looks like I'd have to move to town and that ain't happ'n. Although a new tower is going up near me, maybe that'll help.

abinok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use PDANET paid version with Sprint unlimited data plan to USB tether our home PC. Its as fast as our broadband at the old house, and costs a fraction of what hughes net would cost.

highly reccomended.

Latest posts

Top Bottom