Snap caps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks everyone. I was looking at the plastic one's on MidwayUSA and wasn't sure if they were any good. They have some aluminum ones also.
The plastic ones for handguns/rifles are pretty easy to break. The aluminum ones by A-Zoom are much sturdier. The anodizing coating is aircraft-grade and will last. Eventually, with much hard use or several year's age, the polymer cushion in the primer area will harden; replace at that point with new caps.

If you plan to dryfire your firearm a lot, snap caps are cheap insurance to protect your firearm. I've seen snapped-off firing pin tips and cracked breech faces on guns that had extensive dry fire.

The handling dummies, basically a real cartridge without primer or powder, have their place. They lack the polymer primer cushion, which saves your gun unnecessary wear.

aodh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know as I have a preference--Pachmayr has always been the only brand availabe when I went looking for them.

I've used their 22LR, 9mm, and 45ACP sizes in various "do not dryfire" guns. The red clear plastic big bore caps with the spring inside and the brass bases seem to last forever.

The orange plastic 22LR aren't nearly as long lasting as the rims crack off of the "cartridge" after some number of strikes between and 1 and about 10. This in a SIG Mosquito, where the DA trigger allowed restrikes in the same spot without opening the slide. They probably will last longer if you feed them so that the strikes hit at random spots on the rim.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I the only one who used to make their own out of a spent cartridge and some silicone? This was many years ago, but my brother and I came up with that to improve our marksmanship back when we were preteens.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
to make a do- it- your- self snap cap.... fill the empty primer hole with silicone caulk... sometimes I trim a chunk of pencil eraser or other thin polymer and glue that up in the hole.

Seat a bullet in the empty case... and paint the headstamp with red nail polish so I can tell them apart from live rounds....

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some dummy rounds that I use when introducing new people to shooting but I don't have any snap caps. Too expensive and I'm not convinced that most modern pistols actually need them.

I do, however, have a home brew solution if you're needing ..22 snap caps. Go to Lowes and get some #4 wall anchors. Work like a charm and they're cheap. They even feed through my Chiappa.

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_springstuff5_Version2.jpg

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_springstuff8_Version2.jpg

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_springstuff9_Version2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom