Solar Panels for the home - school me - why isn't everyone doing it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used rainwater exclusively in Ketchikan. Even for consumption. The difference being we got an average of 162 inches of annual rainfall so the water never set in the tank and stagnated.
Tremendous amount of rain there. The two times we were there, the people we talked to said you learn to live and work with a rain coat on.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used rainwater exclusively in Ketchikan. Even for consumption. The difference being we got an average of 162 inches of annual rainfall so the water never set in the tank and stagnated.

Tremendous amount of rain there. The two times we were there, the people we talked to said you learn to live and work with a rain coat on.

We had a port call in Ketchikan when we went on our cruise and land tour in 2005. I guess we were fortunate that we had beautiful weather.

The clouds seemed to come and go though, but I don't remember us getting any rain.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a port call in Ketchikan when we went on our cruise and land tour in 2005. I guess we were fortunate that we had beautiful weather.

The clouds seemed to come and go though, but I don't remember us getting any rain.

Nice pics! I miss that place. With all the rain Ketchikan gets you really appreciate the sunny days. It’s like manna sent from heaven.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very true. Life goes on. When my son played little league baseball the parents would clear the rain off of the area around the bases with brooms between innings. The baseball and football field were gravel instead of grass. I worked for Alaska Airlines in Ketchikan out on the ramp loading freight and baggage in the rain, wind and snow. Never thought about it just did it.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s my rainwater catchment. I have 5 of these barrels. I transfer water to a 40 gallon sprayer rig plumbed to provide 60# pressure to the cabin. My only problem with using it for consumption is I can see the bird sh*t on the metal roof.
IMG_4179.jpeg

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s my rainwater catchment. I have 5 of these barrels. I transfer water to a 40 gallon sprayer rig plumbed to provide 60# pressure to the cabin. My only problem with using it for consumption is I can see the bird sh*t on the metal roof. View attachment 373180
I used to climb up on my metal roof to look for the bird poop and there just wasn’t enough to worry about. With that said we had a basic water filter that used a corded catridge. Our tanks held 8000 gallons and whatever bird poop did get in was very diluted. On the rare occasions in the summer when it didn’t rain every day I’d dump a pint of bleach in the tanks and stir the water with a long 2x4. That’s a nice setup that you have.
IMG_0298.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom