Solar Panels for the home - school me - why isn't everyone doing it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Warrantied against performance loss... Industry standard is that panels lose 10% in the 1st year. They'll be warrantying a lost of panels if they honor their warranty...

On a slightly different slope... We've all heard about electric car battery fires. Here's a 15 sec video. Makes me want to go right out and get one.

https://stevespages.com/Not/electric.mp4
That isn't an electric car battery fire, it is a natural gas tank CNG going ballistic.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought about it, but found out it would cost about another $10,000 to store solar energy and Oklahoma doesn't give much incentive to go solar. Plus it would do much to help my blood pressure when I see them spraying the skies blocking out the sun from reaching the solar panels.
Right now, according to a friend of mine, Texas is 100% subsidy for installing a solar electric system with batteries. You pay for it, Texas will write you a check reimbursing you.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call Renewal by Anderson, Tell em I referred you, I'll get $150 and we can go have a beer and I'll buy lol
Seriously, it was a good decision and my windows were not even 5 years old but cheap Home depot windows. I could feel the north wind coming in my bedroom.
Now I can even hear it storming out unless some serious thunder.
The attic insulation, I'm told, OG&E will help subsidize that cost once they come look into your situation. In some cases up to 90% (I'm told). And I have no issue taking a utility companies money, I do with tax dollars.
I don’t know about other companies, but Home Depot will provide the equipment, to blow insulation(free of charge) as long as you buy their insulation.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A ground mount rack that would follow the sun and could be covered up in the case of a storm would be the ticket. It would also be nice if they could be stood straight up for cleaning.

The dust and dirt on them is supposed to kill the output. They need to be washed regularly to maintain maximum efficiency.
If anyone travels through New Mexico, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of homes in the desert which have the stand-alone panels that follow the sun, with an outhouse about 50 yards away. Totally living off grid. Not a powerline in sight. They have to bring their water in.

I love my solar panels. The ones on the trail cams and the outdoor security cams at the home.
We use too much energy to go solar, and has said, if we did, it would never go on the roof.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone travels through New Mexico, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of homes in the desert which have the stand-alone panels that follow the sun, with an outhouse about 50 yards away. Totally living off grid. Not a powerline in sight. They have to bring their water in.love my solar panels.

Sounds like my total off grid cabin. Solar provides what electricity we need. Up scale outhouse is not bad at all. Had a well drilled but the water is barely potable if at all. Have a rain catchment system that we prefer to use for most all water needs except consumption. Have a reverse osmosis water filter stored away if we need to drink it. Unlimited supply of tin foil hats.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like my total off grid cabin. Solar provides what electricity we need. Up scale outhouse is not bad at all. Had a well drilled but the water is barely potable if at all. Have a rain catchment system that we prefer to use for most all water needs except consumption. Have a reverse osmosis water filter stored away if we need to drink it. Unlimited supply of tin foil hats.

What’s wrong with the well water?

Latest posts

Top Bottom