Solar Panels for the home - school me - why isn't everyone doing it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you going to do when the company folds and you need that oh so excellent warranty that they're offering?
As I stated before, we have been burnt a few times with companies going out of business. That is the main reason I'm dragging my heels. That and the fact we owe no one and have no long term contracts or payments.

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To answer the original question. You only need to envite a sales rep out to the house to figure this one out. My estimate after discounts was $68K on a 30 year note. And that did not include a battery storage system. Would you by a car for that on a 30 year note? Those cheap a$$ panels wouldn't have lasted 10 years. It's a total scam. I could have done it myself for under $5000 with a little help from youtube.

JokerofDeath

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best thing I have done is Renewal by Anderson windows and a back sliding door. So much more sound proof as well as temperature control. And Quality windows bring 65% of their cost back in the sale of the house. 20 year warranty on the Argon gas inside the glass pack. No other window company does this.
Just got em before winter and my heating was night and day. I'm curious to see summer results.
A tiny tax break on them also but that was not a factor for me.
Lol you know Renewal by Andersen is a scam as well? Now don’t get me wrong they make a great window, but there’s companies out there making equally good or better windows with better warranties for a fraction of the cost. Renewal would be great if they stopped inflating their prices to pay for their sales people.

Broncos

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep em coming, I have quite the arsenal I'm building against installing them.
Son has them in Colorado Hail destroyed them and roof Roofer were done in about a month It took solar company about 7 months to install new panels He had to make electricity payments as well as solar for those months He get ahead because electric company buys his excess In Oklahoma Stitt pays for installation and Solar companies double the price because of that Son paid half of my estimate for a larger system

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PSO is putting in solar farms according to the news this morning.

Their rep said “well there are some very attractive government subsidies that are driving our decision”.

So the solar farms are only a good deal if our tax dollars are paying for PSO to buy Chinese junk to mount on our landscape and then charge us a premium for the power they produce.

Good plan. I am not sure why everybody isn’t going solar. Seems like a no brainer.

artuza

New to the site!
Reaction score
Given today's environment of inflation inducing incentives, installers grossly over inflating the cost of solar systems, limited component lifespan (less than the length of time required to pay off the system), and the possibility of government changing the rules mid stream (look at Kommifornia today as they replace expiring legacy net metering agreements with new net metering "lite" agreements - wholesale to grid, maximum charges from grid), increased insurance cost and who knows what I am forgetting, no turn key home based solar system will ever pay for itself (commercial is a different animal I am guessing). The math just does not pencil out - not even remotely close.

The only rational I can see for a home based system is to establish a partial backup system when the grid goes down without regard to ROI. This is applicable to both turn key and DIY systems.

In the end, what is having a stand alone backup system worth to you from a security / safety perspective - not could I save money on my electric bill?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PSO is putting in solar farms according to the news this morning.

Their rep said “well there are some very attractive government subsidies that are driving our decision”.

So the solar farms are only a good deal if our tax dollars are paying for PSO to buy Chinese junk to mount on our landscape and then charge us a premium for the power they produce.

Good plan. I am not sure why everybody isn’t going solar. Seems like a no brainer.
They also claimed it would reduce customer prices, which is a bald-face lie.

Chris Hayes

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Warrantied against performance loss... Industry standard is that panels lose 10% in the 1st year. They'll be warrantying a lost of panels if they honor their warranty...

On a slightly different slope... We've all heard about electric car battery fires. Here's a 15 sec video. Makes me want to go right out and get one.

https://stevespages.com/Not/electric.mp4

Latest posts

Top Bottom