Somebody help me on this bowhunting thing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I do to. It's not kinetic energy that it needs to mysteriously gather from thin air, it's the stabilization that the arrow gains by added yardage.

when the arrow leaves the bow, it wobbles. As it travels, this wobbling settles down some and the arrow spends less energy wobbling and more energy penetrating it's intended target. Correctly set up Arrows minimize this, but there is always some level of instability to be overcome.

An arrow does not wobble as it leaves a properly tuned bow. Arrows flex according to their spine, but this is a wanted action and continues through flight.
If the arrow is wobbling as it leaves the bow then something is wrong.
The GW is an idiot and showed it on TV and Sadly that GW claims to be a bow hunter too.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've watched that show before, wish I had seen that episode. Shooting an arrow at a deer at ten yards should equal one very dead deer. That's assuming he actually hit the deer or if he did hit it, assuming he hit it anywhere that wouldn't just wound it. You gotta be pretty terrible with a bow to not put the arrow in the vitals of a deer at ten yards.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup GW is talking out of his toot flute.
Todays compounds with the proper spined arrows have very little wobble (archers paradox, IIRC).
They might need a few feet to stabilize but even if you hit something before that, the kinetic energy is still moving broadhead first. Might not have perfect penetration but not enough problem to even worry about.
Traditional archers, recurve/long/self bows, will have more of the archers paradox but with the right arrows...still no problem.
The paradox is due to the force pushing on the flexible shaft. Shaft tends to bow, especially if shooting off the shelf. Compounds are so very close to "center shot" that there isn't much bowing to the shaft.
Fletching and vanes rapidly put a spin to the arrow, stabilizing fairly quick.
IMHO

DNO

Latest posts

Top Bottom