Sorority? Close....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never really had an issue with swabbies either. (there were plenty of other guys to fight). And, I spent a lot of time floating around on those big gray boats. Sometimes, those swabs were a pretty darn welcome sight. I recall one particularly foul weather night off the coast of Southern Lebanon...I think it was in like late January, early February 1984...I was soaked to the bone, cold as a frozen side of beef, and hungry enough to eat the south end of a north bound mule. When those sailors on the USS Ft. Snelling hauled me and my little IBS boat crew (IBS: Stands for "Itty Bitty Ship") out of the ocean in the middle of the night, the mess deck squids had either got up early or stayed up late and had made us fresh hot cinnamon rolls...dang, those were the best dang cinnamon rolls ever! If my memory serves right, the Ft. Snelling was shortly thereafter decommissioned. That Med Cruise was I believe her last. And don't even get me started on those old Stinkin' Corpsmen! Man, I had some of the best guys in the whole stinkin' navy serve as Corpsmen in the units I was in. I never had a bad guy wear a Corpsmen's uniform. You wanna talk about tough? Those guys are tough. They did every thing the rest of us did, plus they would give you a band aid if you got a boo-boo, or an aspirin if you got shot or had the sniffles or something. Corpsmen rock. Period.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m guessing you never were around the bars in San Diego?
I wasn’t either, but heard of some epic moments from a those that were. Lol.

Yeah, I hit a few now and then, back in my much younger days. But just my presence alone was normally enough to quell even the rowdiest of buttweiser-fueled squids. Now, drunken bikers who mumble slurs directed at not only my beloved Corps, but at my familial lineage as well is another story for another time.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never really had an issue with swabbies either. (there were plenty of other guys to fight). And, I spent a lot of time floating around on those big gray boats. Sometimes, those swabs were a pretty darn welcome sight. I recall one particularly foul weather night off the coast of Southern Lebanon...I think it was in like late January, early February 1984...I was soaked to the bone, cold as a frozen side of beef, and hungry enough to eat the south end of a north bound mule. When those sailors on the USS Ft. Snelling hauled me and my little IBS boat crew (IBS: Stands for "Itty Bitty Ship") out of the ocean in the middle of the night, the mess deck squids had either got up early or stayed up late and had made us fresh hot cinnamon rolls...dang, those were the best dang cinnamon rolls ever! If my memory serves right, the Ft. Snelling was shortly thereafter decommissioned. That Med Cruise was I believe her last. And don't even get me started on those old Stinkin' Corpsmen! Man, I had some of the best guys in the whole stinkin' navy serve as Corpsmen in the units I was in. I never had a bad guy wear a Corpsmen's uniform. You wanna talk about tough? Those guys are tough. They did every thing the rest of us did, plus they would give you a band aid if you got a boo-boo, or an aspirin if you got shot or had the sniffles or something. Corpsmen rock. Period.

I may not ever drink again anyway as I’ve now been sober for two years and greatly value my sobriety. However, if I do decide to begin partaking in the imbibing of adult beverages again, I will still NEVER drink with a Navy Corpsman again. Especially not one that was ever a “green side” Corpsman. Those f***ers used to starting drinking on Friday at 1700 and on Sunday at 0500 would be using the duty keys to get in to the BAS to steal IVs to keep drinking more. Then people wonder why they have no money when they get out after five or six years. Im guilty of it too, oh well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom