Southwest Airlines - Checking a Pistol?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Am flying on Southwest; OKC to Seattle and back in a few weeks. Anybody got any good scoop on the procedure SW Airlines requires to check a handgun, 2 magazines and some ammo on the flights? I have read the info on their web site but have also read a few horror stories about the process. As I understand it; a lockable pistol box, unloaded gun and magazines, ammo in a separate box, and declare all discreetly at the check in desk. Then you lock the pistol box with all else inside under the watchful eye of TSA or the check in person; it then goes in your checked luggage and off you go for your flight. Seems pretty simple; I just don't want to show up and get turned away, detained, maced, or get the full body cavity probe!

Is it really that simple to fly with a pistol?

ultimase

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much, I've noticed that depending on how friendly the state is the airport is as well.

Checking a firearm in California... not so friendly.
Checking a firearm in Texas or Oklahoma....very friendly. Heck the TSA in Texas was curious about the sig I was checking.

The only thing I'd recommend doing is printing out a few copies of the airline's policy. There is a chance that the agent at the counter might not know what their own airline's policy is, and it wouldn't hurt to have it printed out with you. If you're flying different carriers it would help to have them both.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just be careful with any possible rerouting of your baggage, or changes in the flight schedule that necessitate a stopover or flying through a non-gun-friendly airport. I can't recall where I saw it - on OSA or in the news - but recently some guy in NYC or Philly got into hot water because he flew with a pistol, and his flight was delayed so he had to stay overnight in a city with draconian firearms laws. I'm sure someone reading my comments will be able to point you to that story.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I will be sure to post my experiences when I get back from my trip. I asssume a standard hard plastic lockable handgun case like the blue one my 642 came in will be good enough? Or do I need to go buy a lockable metal case?

Latest posts

Top Bottom