Speaking of home furnaces.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I replaced a aging system in 2018 with a 95% effecient nat gas furnace and 16 seer AC.

system it replaced was installed in 1998. Night and day difference in performance and energy costs. These days thats nothing to walk away from.
True but 3 1/2 ton system today is probably 12-18 grand to install think my boss paid 14 last season. that being said you will save a bit on bills

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I replaced a aging system in 2018 with a 95% effecient nat gas furnace and 16 seer AC.

system it replaced was installed in 1998. Night and day difference in performance and energy costs. These days thats nothing to walk away from.
100% agree!

Ours was a 1984 or 1986 model with three of the four heat exchangers cracked. Our heating bill in the cold months was over $500. Now it's rarely over $300.

If you replace it yourself you'll save a ton of money. I just looked ours up. With a concentric vent kit (only one hole in the roof), PVC pipe, thermostat wire, and some additional metal for the size difference (Knockdown Plenum, they called it), it ws $1933 and i put it in myself. Hardest part was digging out the old one that weighed over 100 lbs and dumped rust all over me and the floor. This was furnace only, not AC coil etc.

The lowest bid I got to replace it for me was $5500. And that right there is why plumbing and HVAC companies always drive new trucks!

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
100% agree!

Ours was a 1984 or 1986 model with three of the four heat exchangers cracked. Our heating bill in the cold months was over $500. Now it's rarely over $300.

If you replace it yourself you'll save a ton of money. I just looked ours up. With a concentric vent kit (only one hole in the roof), PVC pipe, thermostat wire, and some additional metal for the size difference (Knockdown Plenum, they called it), it ws $1933 and i put it in myself. Hardest part was digging out the old one that weighed over 100 lbs and dumped rust all over me and the floor. This was furnace only, not AC coil etc.

The lowest bid I got to replace it for me was $5500. And that right there is why plumbing and HVAC companies always drive new trucks!
cant buy from supply house without a license may be wrong

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
cant buy from supply house without a license may be wrong
Yes, you don't need a license to buy a system. Just the refrigerant. You can get them pre-charged though and bypass that. OR just tell them you're licensed and send them a bogus number. They don't care. The only people that care are politicians and HVAC installers making fat cash off of unfortunate circumstances.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you don't need a license to buy a system. Just the refrigerant. You can get them pre-charged though and bypass that. OR just tell them you're licensed and send them a bogus number. They don't care. The only people that care are politicians and HVAC installers making fat cash off of unfortunate circumstances.
yes pre charged but sometimes you need more some times less depending on length of your line set

Latest posts

Top Bottom