Speaking of home furnaces.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep and your savings wont surpass your cash outlay for probably 20 years keep your old as long as its running.
True, but it was 20 yrs. old. Some things you just don't want to wait until failure caused by weather extremes and be without heat or AC for days. Like a water heater, if it's beyond 10 or 12 years, you're living on borrowed time.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
our last house had hot water tank nearly 23 years old when we sold the house, but we ended up putting in a new tank when the tank had to be raised per codes after inspection

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prices went crazy on HVAC systems about the time the kung flu hit. We replaced our system in July, heat was still going but the AC coils were set up to fail, copper elbows soldered into aluminum tubes on the A coil, a setup for corrosion. and designed failure. New 4T Carrier 2 stage heat and air 16 SEER 96% eff heat was right at 12 grand installed, had a few places quote and all were in the same ballpark. Electric bill was quite a bit lower and gas seems alike a bit less usage. Really liking the 2 stage operation.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the replies.

It took some doing but I was finally able to locate and make contact with a now semi retired licensed HVAC tech. that I trust and was the one that actually installed my furnace and he's against just changing out the furnace simply because it's close to 20 yrs. old, especially since it seems to be working fine now, without doing a thorough inspection of my unit......he'll be coming down one day this coming week.

Thanks again for all the replies........much appreciated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom