Springfield DS Prodigy ("2011")

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, my friend. I was trying to do that or talk down about what you like. Just throwing some thoughts out there about what works for me.
He was complimenting you on your conversational skills using moments of recollection to interpret the old adage, "if it doesn't start with a 4 . . ."

Let's face it, nines are convenient, smaller, and easier to carry which encourages the spray-n-pray in my opinion but anemic compared to a 45, 40, or the 10mm. My big hands crave a stacked 45. I can still palm a basketball.

I wish they made a 45 Magnum commercially.

A 45 ACP about 1/8 longer like a 38 v 357 Magnum, or 44 Special v 44 Magnum . Hoooo Ah!

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I completely understand the "big hands" thing and why you'd want a larger grip frame that comes with a .45.

But I don't know about 9mm encouraging "spray and pray". To me that would be a lack of training. And if you're gonna do that, you're gonna do that, regardless of the caliber you carry.

Would you say a standard 30 round mag for an AR encourages that type of shooting?

I have pretty average sized hands so a 9mm makes perfect sense for me. That's not to say I don't like .45s, cuz I love them. But I need a single stack gun mostly...though there are a few double stack .45s that I can handle. I'm convinced though, in the real world, caliber makes little difference in handgun bullet effectiveness.

I'm sure you've seen plenty of people who've been shot by handguns, as I have. What I haven't seen is one of those people who were shot complain they were shot with too small a caliber. I was personally involved in a shooting (though I didn't fire, the two officers I was with did) where two officers were talking to a guy, an ex-LAPD officer, as a matter of fact, who was being detained in his car for a potential domestic violence issue. Turns out he wanted to commit suicide by cop. I was at the right rear corner of the car and saw him grab the gun shoved between the seats. The two officers fired from nearly contact distance into the guys chest from the window...just a few feet away. One actually leaned into the car and fired. The guy took 5 rounds of 230gr HydraShoks into the chest. I took the gun out of the car...he dropped it on the passenger side floor. When the EMTs got there he stood up and walked himself to the gurney. Somehow they missed everything vitally important. He was in our jail infirmary (I worked for the county) 3 days later.

Handgun rounds just don't perform in real life like we all hope they will. Fortunately, most people just don't like getting shot and want it to stop. Motivated people on the other hand... Well ask the FBI what happens when they bring handguns to rifle fights.

I seriously thought the caliber debate, in terms of handgun defensive use, had been settled.

(Man...seems like it's "War Story Thursday" today.)

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be tempted to use their again revamped/rebranded “firstline” program to get one, but I have to ask, at that price point, how much of it has been slapped together with MIM parts?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about MIM parts but I do know I just saw one malfunction in Colion Noir's video review. Either a fail to fire or the slide didn't lock back on the empty mag. He conveniently didn't mention it. Judging from some comments I guess they're already in stores. I'm surprised.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I completely understand the "big hands" thing and why you'd want a larger grip frame that comes with a .45.

But I don't know about 9mm encouraging "spray and pray". To me that would be a lack of training. And if you're gonna do that, you're gonna do that, regardless of the caliber you carry.

Would you say a standard 30 round mag for an AR encourages that type of shooting?

I have pretty average sized hands so a 9mm makes perfect sense for me. That's not to say I don't like .45s, cuz I love them. But I need a single stack gun mostly...though there are a few double stack .45s that I can handle. I'm convinced though, in the real world, caliber makes little difference in handgun bullet effectiveness.

I'm sure you've seen plenty of people who've been shot by handguns, as I have. What I haven't seen is one of those people who were shot complain they were shot with too small a caliber. I was personally involved in a shooting (though I didn't fire, the two officers I was with did) where two officers were talking to a guy, an ex-LAPD officer, as a matter of fact, who was being detained in his car for a potential domestic violence issue. Turns out he wanted to commit suicide by cop. I was at the right rear corner of the car and saw him grab the gun shoved between the seats. The two officers fired from nearly contact distance into the guys chest from the window...just a few feet away. One actually leaned into the car and fired. The guy took 5 rounds of 230gr HydraShoks into the chest. I took the gun out of the car...he dropped it on the passenger side floor. When the EMTs got there he stood up and walked himself to the gurney. Somehow they missed everything vitally important. He was in our jail infirmary (I worked for the county) 3 days later.

Handgun rounds just don't perform in real life like we all hope they will. Fortunately, most people just don't like getting shot and want it to stop. Motivated people on the other hand... Well ask the FBI what happens when they bring handguns to rifle fights.

I seriously thought the caliber debate, in terms of handgun defensive use, had been settled.

(Man...seems like it's "War Story Thursday" today.)
Did the five rounds of 230 grain change his attitude during his stay?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about MIM parts but I do know I just saw one malfunction in Colion Noir's video review. Either a fail to fire or the slide didn't lock back on the empty mag. He conveniently didn't mention it. Judging from some comments I guess they're already in stores. I'm surprised.

Did a little reading, apparently Springfield didnt make any of their 1911s with mim parts. Supposedly. I feel that suddenly making something with said parts would be unexpected… maybe? In the video Colion did mention forged steel slide and frame, so that’s good.

If I hadn’t just bought a new rifle and a 19x I think I would be all over this. I’ll have to exercise some patience though. I think a 5” is gonna be on my short list.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did the five rounds of 230 grain change his attitude during his stay?

I don't really know. I know he was never charged with DV...apparently the wife made everything up. She was charged with false reporting and plead to it.

Everyone said the guy was as nice and polite as could be. Not the typical prisoner.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have said something similar to so many people. I've done lots of digging on something I only got to try once. Bowling pin matches.
If you go back several years, it looks like the STI Edge in 40 was the most popular pistol for competitions that required a little more knockdown than 9 offers. Then a couple years ago, the market seemed flooded with STI 40s with 10k+ rounds down them. Those guys all seemed to be switching to CZ, namely the TSO in 40.
It was a very interesting market trend change, and I narrowly missed my opportunity to buy several STI Edges with those super expensive extended mags for under $1400. Now they're way back up there in price.
I don't shoot USPSA or IDPA, but if anyone does, I'd like to hear what model and caliber you shoot in the double stack class.
I don't see the point in a 9mm 2011. At all.
But 40? 10mm? 38 super, even?
9mm 2011 for three gun
40 for limited division

Just on the basis of fun, a 2011 in 9 is just super fun to shoot. Some folks just want to have fun

Latest posts

Top Bottom