Star BM Short Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I'm waiting for the P365 to arrive, and while I debate over whether or not to actually buy it, I decided to pick up another 9mm pistol. A few months ago, all of my favorite Youtube channels did favorable reviews of the Star BM, which is a surplus pistol imported from Spain. I almost bought one online, but never got around to it.

Yesterday I happened to see one on Armslist, and I bought it today. It came with a factory hard case, two magazines (8+1 capacity), manual and cleaning rod. The gun itself was in decent condition, although the barrel bushing is pretty dinged up. After a field strip to inspect and clean, I removed the magazine disconnect and headed to the range.

Talk about pleasantly surprised! If ever a gun was stuck with a name it didn't deserve, the BM is it. It's cold outside, so I only ran 91 rounds through it, but there were zero malfunctions of any kind. Mags were easy to load, the safety has just the right amount of resistance, the trigger is excellent, and it locked open on every empty mag. And it's accurate. And it's easy to shoot. And it cost me $250, which is half the price of the P365. I had a Springfield 1911 Range Officer CDR in 9mm which I sold a few years ago...the BM cost less than half and I enjoy shooting it more.

I'd LOOSELY describe the BM as a cross between a Hi Power and a 1911. It's designed to carry cocked and locked, and has no grip safety. I had an old UBG pancake holster that I think I bought for a Kimber UC II, and it fit the BM like a glove. The pistol is heavy for its size, but with a good holster and belt the weight is negligible until you pull the trigger. Then those extra ounces are noticeable and welcome.

Overall, I'm very happy with this little pistola. It should make a great truck gun. I'll update if it craps out on me, but I doubt it will.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Star BM in the late'70's that I bought new from a dealer that worked out of his house. I remember it was a good firearm for the money, wasn't much then. Kinda heavy. Had it for awhile and sold it a few years later. Good pistol...

Last edited:

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased one of those BM sets. Came in the factory translucent plastic box, 2 mags, Spanish language instruction booklet, cleaning rod.
By the time shipping and transfer is figured in, I've got about $250 in it also.
The right side of the slide, and receiver too, have a pea-sized circle milled into the steel. Apparently some sort of ID Mark was removed. No big deal. The new serial number marked in it is seriously ugly, but doesn't interfere with operations. Besides, I can't see it from the firing position.
I ran about 100 rounds through mine right after purchase. I did strip it too inspect, but didn't clean it. Before shooting it again, I'll clean it. Trigger was gritty, but broke clean. Accuracy was so-so, but that was probably me - I was in a hurry.
It's very similar to my Astra A-70, but slightly larger. The BM is 8+1, the A-70 is 7+1.

I like them both.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one a while back and I really liked it. It would only feed FMJs but it was a good shooter.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have one in my custody. It's my Grandma's, but she can't rack the slide anymore, so she is using her wheelgun, and gave this to me to sell. I need to get it out and shoot it. I've wanted one for a while, so if I like the way it shoots I'll just give her the money and keep it.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one that was just as good as everyone is saying. I put several hundred rds thru it and I don't remember any problems. In a weak moment I sold it to a neighbor, who a few months later moved out of state. I have kicked myself ever since. If I find another in nice condition, I'll probably grab it quickly. Nice size, very pleasant to shoot, and IT WORKS!

Latest posts

Top Bottom