Starting a Preppers Library

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKIE LADY

Marksman
Reaction score
A lot of people (especially the younger generation; my kids included) don't like “hard copy” materials anymore. BUT what good is a computer or Kindle when electrical power or satellite communication is disrupted for a prolonged period of time (and not by a tornado where you can drive 10 miles away and get back online). I'm not a dinosaur YET, but, as a Baby Boomer, I am old enough to hear the stories from my Dad about his growing up during the Great Depression (and, sorry, but our recent “Great Recession” doesn't hold a candle to that one). Also, watching WWII stories on TV seeing Nazis burning thousands of books and manuals so people could have no (Hard Copy) to refer to ever again, has always made a BIG impression on both me and my husband. We have books coming out our ears and NOW we have a growing PREPPERS library!

If you are one of us who want good, solid materials to refer to instantly, I suggest these 2 books, if nothing else. They will give you the knowledge and help to get you through some tough times if necessary. (By the way, I'm not a pessimistic old nag always looking for the worst; in fact I HATE having to prepare like this, it makes me MAD and SICK, but you do what your gut tells you to do)! Anyway............

One MUST read book is, “Crisis Preparedness Handbook” by Jack Spigarelli. It's about 300+ pages in paperback form. His details make my 13 page “Guide” look like a post-it-note! He explains about EVERYTHING from surviving Terrorism and NBC Warfare (Biological, Chemical, & Nuclear), Communication, Sanitation, Medical & Dental, General Survival Tools, Food & Water Stockpiling, and on, and on. In the last chapter he gives dozens upon dozens of links and websites for everything you need.

The other MUST read is “Basic Country Skills; A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance”, by John and Martha Storey. It is 560 pages in paperback form of having the knowledge and confidence to survive in the country OR your own backyard! They show EVERYTHING from growing vegs.,fruit trees, electrical, raising chickens and rabbits, bee keeping and honey production, solar energy, canning, water supply, basic butchering from rabbits to cows, cheese making, composting, wood burning stoves, and on, and on. Everything is easy to understand and in beautiful illustrations.

If you want to start a Preppers Library, I recommend starting with these 2 books first then build from there. Amazon.com is full of Prep-type books; you just have to pick and choose what's best for you. It does seem like Amazon has the best prices too. Good luck on your search!

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do have quit a few on my kindle, but I am not too worried about not being able to charge it. It also last a long time on one charge. If all else fails; including all my cars, generators, and solar cells; I have an emergency radio that has a solar cell and a hand crank and a charging port for charging USB devices.

OKIE LADY

Marksman
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the basics covered. I do like the radio with charging port for USB devices; I'll have to double check mine. If no port I'll look into getting the kind you have. I guess I just like "stuff" in files, etc.; a sign of getting older I suppose!

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as you have a way to recharge it an e-reader is definitely the most efficient way to stock a library. Nothing else even comes close.

This is true. I'd have a TON of room here in the house if I got rid of all my books and put them on an Ipad. In fact, it's pretty danged tempting ... but dang! I'm kinda an old-school gal ... I'd sure miss my books!

I'm getting a list of my most used 8 to 10 books -- the ones I have that I alway seem to be going back to for information -- for another member here. I'll post them up tomorrow sometime. They are obviously not the only books I own because I am such a bookworm, but they are the most useful ones I've found in regard to overall prepping info.

I can tell you that one of them is Dare to Prepare by Holly Deyo. I don't think I've bought another "general" prep book since I picked her up last year -- Except for the Country Wisdom series and that's not really a fair comparison. That is a series of gigantic books in little, bitty type. It is astounding the amount of information they hold. Her's is just one gigantic book in regular type! LOL

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still have a few paper books. One of them is my old Boy Scout Handbook from when I was an Assistant Scout Master back in the 60's. It has a lot of information in it. Since I will be bugging out in place I am not too worried about having power. In addition to a generator I have some solar power on my shop/storage building. It will produce about 2.5 KWH a day with 5 hours of sunlight. My wife wanted one at least that large so that in an extended power outage we could keep at least on freezer going for a long time. Having that power available makes it easier to plan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom