Steel case handgun ammo ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the range early this morning in the misting rain with my 5" stainless SA Mil-Spec 1911 and fired my normal 100 rounds at the 25 yd. gongs.

Anyway, I noticed a lot of steel case Tula 45 ACP and 9mm casings on the ground (which is where I left them) and surprising as it may sound it got me to thinking.

Not knowing for sure but it would seem to me that steel cases would be harder on the extractor than brass or alum cases and that steel cases wouldn't expand and fill the chamber properly like brass.......am I completely off base in my thinking ?

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't speak to the extractor life. As for the expansion; the steel used is mild, and fairly soft. Steel has been used by many countries and manufacturers for decades as a cartridge case. The US Military used them in 45 ACP during ww2, mostly because of the difficulty in getting copper.

Steel isn't optimal, but it works. I've read articles in gun mags from the 50s about reloading steel cases. Most agreed it was feasible maybe 3 times, then the steel got too soft and neck tension failed.

The biggest problem with using steel cases was the tendency to stick in the chamber, especially when the chamber gets hotter as during heavy action.
Not when you want failures.

That's why the makers coat the steel with various substances, lacquer paint being the cheapest.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had steel stick in my Hi-Point American made gun.
I like the boxer primed aluminum and steel cases for reloading.
If you lose them in the weeds or tall grass no big loss.
They reload and shoot just fine in my 45acp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom