Stop Smoking Hints

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have my Target Date ...... July 31st. I know there have probably been many threads on this but is there anything new? I am looking at the Patch and may use an Electronic Cigarette for those 'rough' times. 50 year smoker but have been advised that it is time to stop! Any help would be appreciated.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I quit about 17 years ago. I had smoked for around 30 years. I used the purple pill. I tapered off and tapered off and tapered off, finally I just got tired of fighting it and stopped. Now the bad news, I still want one today, but I know if I ever start again, I won't be able to stop again. Good luck, fight the good fight.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a tough road, but one you can travel and make the destination. You have to keep yourself busy, ALL the time.

13 yrs I've been free of Copenhagen. I still have dreams/nightmares of stuffing a whole can in my mouth. Wake up afterwards in a sweat.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by David Allen Carr.

I can't recommend it often enough. If I were smart I'd link you to it with my Amazon referral account, so I could make some coin.

But hey, if you read the book and it gets you to quit, let me know.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good for you! :clap3: :thumbup3:

I finally quit for good back about '95.. cold turkey. I never tried the patches..I was always the guy who said I could quit any time I wanted to... I'd done it a 1,000 times. It was Dorals going from $1 to $1.50 a pack that stopped me. I'd look in the ash tray and see that I could have bought a lot of nice things for what I was burning up every yr.

As for incintive to stop.. now I believe in the 'scared straight' approach to stop smoking... my 58 yr old cousin who was a heavy smoker all her adult life died just a few hours ago from cancer. I got the call this evening. My father died 1 1/2 yrs ago and his older brother 6 months before him.. all had been heavy smokers as adults. Camels, Lucky Strike & cheap cigars. After seeing someone die the long drawn out way they did... I would never go back to smoking again.

My dad had finally stopped cold turkey by chewing gum and toothpicks. Sadly, in his case he didn't stop soon enough.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You just got to hang in there and want to do it. I smoked for 17 years I have been quit for one year next Friday which is nothing compared to some of the other folks here. I hope i am still quit 15 years from now. For the first six months I wanted one everyday, every time I got done eating, or started my truck. Now I still want one but I don't even think about it but maybe a couple times a week. It was more the habit than the nicotine. I have picked up a heck of a coffee habit since I quit. The farther you get from that last cigarette the better you will feel. Good luck pink. I will say prayer for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom