Store eggs up to 2 years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you’re saying that you’ve eaten unwashed eggs with the bloom, that were 2 years old? Stored at room temp? Or 2 years after using this lime and water technique?
i don't know what the bloom is? what i am saying is that if you want an egg to store long term don't use store bought or washed eggs,they will go bad quickly. i experimented with long term egg storage taken from turn of century techniques. i tried three methods one was salt packed rubbed with butter and one salt packed without butter and another just packaged in cartons stored in a fridge. they were all pretty much the same in the end with no spoiled eggs although the whites were shrunken an stiff after two years,probably from dehydration. all were edible especially if you added a little water and scrambled them. so keeping eggs over winter packed in salt and in a root cellar shouldn't be an issue. my goal wasn't really to make eggs last many years but just to make the spring summer laying season stockpile for winter use until hens start to lay again.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in my opinion there isn't a need to store eggs for more than six months. a fridge works just fine for this or in sawdust placed in a root cellar. if you use the float test you will throw out many good eggs. but the pig needs something to eat also. spend your resources on hens and their support you will always have eggs and meat. i was always taught to never crack an egg over the bowl but over a separate container just in case there was a bad egg in the batch.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i don't know what the bloom is?
The bloom is the outermost covering on an egg and is the last part of the shell put on before the hen lays the egg. Maybe the conversations you have heard have used an alternate name for the bloom; sometimes it is called the cuticle. In short, it is a foamy layer of protein that surrounds the egg.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bloom is the outermost covering on an egg and is the last part of the shell put on before the hen lays the egg. Maybe the conversations you have heard have used an alternate name for the bloom; sometimes it is called the cuticle. In short, it is a foamy layer of protein that surrounds the egg.
thanks. i never had that explained to me before. just knowledge passed down from the generations. all seemed to know not to wash an egg and that store eggs wouldn't keep. for me the best tasty way to long term an egg is to pickle them with peppers and dill.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks. i never had that explained to me before. just knowledge passed down from the generations. all seemed to know not to wash an egg and that store eggs wouldn't keep. for me the best tasty way to long term an egg is to pickle them with peppers and dill.

I wish the USDA would figure out a way to pressure can eggs safely. I'd have pickled eggs in jars all over the house. 😂

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
14-17 a day, I eat eggs every morning the dog eats eggs every morning and we give lots away.. Any soiled egg the dog gets.. We don't bother washing our eggs those who get them are told such, a clean nest box usually gives a clean egg.. We'll give this a whurl for a long term haul so results next year.. Thanks Rick.
Ooh, I've hears stories about 'egg suckin' dogs' 😯

Latest posts

Top Bottom