Stupid hunting law....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, Saturday due to nasty weather I am hunting with my AR-15. Now, I normally would use my 1903 Springfield or my M1 Garand. The Garand is semi auto and holds 8 rounds of 30-06. The AR is also semi auto, but in a very light caliber .223. The law states that because the AR is 22 caliber I must have fewer than 7 rounds in the magazine. I plan to carry a pistol, like always, and it will legally have 13 rounds in the magazine. But, for the AR I will have to take 20 round magazines and make something to put inside them so they only hold 5-6.... Now, do I need 20 rounds to deer hunt with? No, but I don't want to spend $20-30 just to get a mag to use once a year (if that) at during deer season.... Talk about a stupid law, if I had the exact same gun, in ANY other caliber I could legally hunt with a 100 round drum.... What could we do to change this law?

Here is what the regs state: Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire
firearms may not be capable of holding more
than seven rounds of ammunition.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...and doesn't that mean that your mag can hold seven or fewer, but not eight or more? Agree that it's a stupid law, either way.

If it's been around a while, it's likely that the law was written at a time when the only (or nearly only) chambering for the AR pattern of rifles was in .223. That would be my guess, anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom