Stupid People

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To get away from the "What would you do?" threads, let's talk about this issue I have been having since the Thursday night shooting.

Idiots. People who don't know jack squat. I work at a theater, so this topic is brought up many times a day by co-workers and patrons. I want to educate, but, alas, I am only one man in a world of idiots.

For instance, I had this conversation with a co-worker yesterday. I thought I was very civil, and plainly stated why he was wrong on each count. Until the end, when I was afraid I might not be able to keep it up.

Idiot: "Why do you need a gun that shoots 800 bullets a minute to hunt?"
Me: "The rifle was semi-automatic. One shot at a time."
Idiot: "Hunting rifles are ok, but the more powerful military type AR-15s should be banned."
Me: "AR-15s are not more powerful or deadly than my deer rifle. Less so in fact."
Idiot: "But how can you think buying a fully automatic machine gun over the counter is a right?"
Me: "You have to do a lot of paperwork, pay a tax, and be approved. It's not as simple or easy as the media would have you believe."
Idiot: "Why wasn't he red flagged buying ammo in bulk like that?"
Me: "Why would he be? Everything is cheaper in bulk."
Idiot: "I can't believe they sell bullets online, with no kind of check!"
Me: "You have a background check to buy the firearm in the first place."
Idiot: "Only the military needs thousand round clips like that."
Me: "It was a hundred round MAGAZINE. Not standard issue in the military."
Idiot: "If you need that army type gun to hunt, you must be hunting the bugs from Starship Troopers."
Me: "No, full auto for hunting is not only not practical, but also not legal. But AR-15s make great varmint, hog, and even deer rifles. They are customizable, easy to clean and take apart, and can be very accurate. All hunting rifles were originally invented for military use. Muskets, lever actions, bolt actions, semi-autos, and now, modern sporting rifles."
Idiot: "You hillbillies and your guns, why don't you come into the 21st century. It's not the wild west anymore. We're more civilized now. There's more police now than there was then, when maybe, yeah, you might need a gun because the next sheriff is 50 miles away and you got no phone."
Me: "I'm done talking to you about this. If I don't stop, things will become awkward."

We didn't speak the rest of the day.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a very wise man once told me, Son there is a reason they are like they are and nothing you say or do will change what little brain they have.

That sounds like something my Poppa would say. I hope to one day learn how to just keep my trap shut from the get-go and not let the stupidity of others bother me...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno, kiddo ... I'm old enough to be your Momma and I still have trouble turning and walking away sometimes ... I will say this though, you had more patience than I would have. You did a good job and were respectful. I'm not sure I'd have been so respectful of someone who so clearly thinks I'm short a couple of rods of DNA just because I happen to enjoy shooting sports.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I received an email notifying me that my rather large purchase of ammo was waiting for me on my front porch. It was late in the afternoon and my day ended at 4, so I figured I'd head out early that way my order wasn't sitting out for grabs. While finishing up what I was doing, I was talking to a guy on the same aisle as me about guns. He asked what type of ammo, I told him it was .308 and he asked which guns is it for. I told him it was for my LR-308 and he didn't know what that was so I told him. He wasn't a gun guy and wasn't anti-gun either, but his response then was "Gee, which skinhead group do you belong to?".

He's a black guy, which matters nothing to me, but it made me question his individual intelligence on firearms and firearm owners, but also made me wonder if the black community typically sees AR's and associates them with white radicals. I'm still not sure if I should be offended or not.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Idiot: "You hillbillies and your guns, why don't you come into the 21st century. It's not the wild west anymore. We're more civilized now. There's more police now than there was then, when maybe, yeah, you might need a gun because the next sheriff is 50 miles away and you got no phone."

Logic 101 failure right there. Are you sure this guy wasn't lobotomized? :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom