Suggestions for military surplus rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the deal with the alleged poor accuracy of the Mosin/Nagants? Is it an issue with the rifle or the cheap surplus ammo? If it is the ammo could the accuracy problems be overcome with handloaded ammo?
I don't have one (yet) but I've kind of been looking.

The Russian army was a huge teeming mob of illiterate peasants who couldn't shoot and couldn't be counted on to maintain their rifles. Russian Mosin Nagants were designed to be cheap, easily-produced, and durable; accuracy really wasn't a concern. By contrast, wealthier countries with smaller, better trained armies had better weapons. Finland's take on the Mosin is a pretty good example of this; so is the K31.

The ammo is also a culprit. Partly it's inaccurate for the same reasons the rifles are: no one cares if your conscript army can shoot accurately or not. Lots of those Eastern Bloc countries cranked out 7.62x54r, even after the Mosin was phased out as an infantry weapon, as make-work projects because they still had the old tooling. They didn't really care about quality then either.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard of people bedding the actions with JB Weld, corking the barrel, and doing some other stuff to tighten the groups on their Mosins. In principle, doing any non-reversible modifications (like JB Weld action bedding) to a surplus rifle is bad, but I don't think anyone will care about a $80 Russian Nagant.

Handloading would probably help too, but I have no personal experience.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just buy the best condition gun for the cheapest price.
Go to the matches to have "FUN!" but don't expect to win.
The guys who win all the time practice a Lot! and I mean a Lot.
I see them at the range 3+ times a week and have worked up handloads that get them super groups.
If you decide you really like this type of match, then you can gradually move up to a better gun.
Most matches are currently being won by 03A3's, K-31 and swedes, but that doesn't mean you can't do good with a cheap moisin and some good handloads.
I'd love to see somebody smoke the competition with a rusty old carcano and some factory ball to put those guys in their place.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a mosin m44 and it was fun but not accurate. just got a k31 and love it. I'm not a great shot but managed a 4 shot 3.5 inch group at 100 yards with iron sights my first time out with it. With a scope and a better shooter behind it I think it could get really tight groups. Ammo is an issue though. At least double for the Swiss

Latest posts

Top Bottom