Suggestions for military surplus rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of all the milsurps I've owned and sold/traded, I think my favorite was the Swedish M96. It was a clockwork rifle with a great round.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another cool thing about the K31 is that there's a troop tag under the buttplate with the name & address of the soldier who carried the rifle. This has nothing to do with the shootability of the thing but it helps establish a sense of history to the rifle which military surplus collectors like a lot.

If you get a K31, a web Garand sling fits very well if you file down the metal tab that goes through the front loop just a hair. I have a leather Swiss sling that I restored but it doesn't work so well as a marksmanship aid.

The Russian dog collar Mosin slings are terrible as shooting aids but the Finns had proper sling swivels so you could probably fit a Garand sling on it. If you get a Finn Mosin and you like shooting with a sling then let us know what you come up with.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you get the K31, spend the money an get the St. Marie mount, and scope her. You'll be so in love with your new tack driver!!!! They shoot really good with the iron sights, but really show their stuff scoped!

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get the K31, spend the money an get the St. Marie mount, and scope her. You'll be so in love with your new tack driver!!!! They shoot really good with the iron sights, but really show their stuff scoped!

I don't know if I could bear putting holes in my Swiss Miss. :saywhat:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if I could bear putting holes in my Swiss Miss. :saywhat:

A St. Marie mount does not require any drilling or tapping of a K31. That's the great thing about this mount - it has a little flange that fits into the cut-out in the right-hand side of the receiver. You tighten the nut and get a solid mount with a 11-mm rail. The mount does sit a bit on the right side of the bore axis, but it's a lot more attractive than the alternatives: a scout mount way up front, or D/T of the receiver. It's a thing of beauty :)

Attachments

• DSC00962Ss.jpg
    DSC00962Ss.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 180

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone found a slip-on recoil pad/cheek rest for the K-31? I guess I'm a lot lankier than a WWII-vintage Swiss guy and I have trouble getting a decent cheek weld or getting the butt of the rifle in my shoulder in such a way that I don't get the hell beaten out of me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom