Sustainability - An Overview of multiple threads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is an attempt to get a serous conversation going on sustainability, ideas on how to plan for long term needs we would face in a post collapse world. A world without many of the modern conveniences we take for granted today. A world with the potential for $8 gas, or no gas at all. Limited access to drugs, food, resources, the list goes on.

What I think we should try and avoid is having a several different topics covered in one thread. I for one won't read through page after page of a thread that has multiple pages, so I am probably missing some really good information. If we break it down, people can focus on those topics that they have knowledge or interest in.

If this becomes a popular area of discussion and information, maybe one of the moderators could set the threads so they would always be on the first page. Time will tell.

I'm sure there are a lot of great skills and knowledge that are possessed by people on this forum. It is likely that a lot of this has already been discussed, but is somewhere in older posts. I am open for ideas as to how to make this a valuable tool for people to benefit from. If there is a better way to present this, please speak up. This is an important topic and I fear time is short. Hopefully there is enough interest in something like this to make it work. This is about helping others who new to prepping and have not considered all the aspects of what it takes to truly be sustainable. The more people that are able to take care of themselves in a bad situation, the less chaos there will be and hopefully a lower causality rate.

Here are the thread titles being considered so far. There are several sub topics that could come up in these areas, if one seems pop up that warrants a whole new thread, then we can create a new one. I have put in a few topics that would fit in some of these areas.

Sustainability - Health / Fitness
Diet
Weightloss
Foods not to eat

Sustainability - Medical
Long term storage of meds and vitamins
Alternatives to meds
Acquisition of meds and alternatives

Sustainability - Food Storage
Canning - water bath and pressure canning
Dehydrating
Mylar Bags

Sustainability - Food Production / Gardening
Dealing with drought conditions
Hugelkultur beds (Woodie beds)
Irrigation
Mulching
Land management / improvement

Sustainability - Energy / Production / Storage
Solar
Wind
Methane
Wood Gasification

Sustainability - Self Defense
Firearms and tactics
Reloading
After confiscation
Hand to hand

Sustainability - Shelter
Conventional
Underground

Sustainability - Bartering
Your Labor
Precious metals
Beans for Bullets

Sustainability - Community
Trust
Getting to know people
Religion
MAGS (Mutual Assistance Groups)

Sustainability - Animals / Pets / Farm / For our food
Shelter
Food
Meds

Sustainability - Wealth
Gold
Silver

Sustainability - Water
Wells
Catchment
Filtering
Chemical treatment

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea to me. I've been working on putting a "book" together covering subjects like these. Basically, reading material and writing down the key points to later make my own personal book. Sort of a reference guide. Each one of your subjects above could be there own chapter. Collectively, it would make a great reference guide for everyone else.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a big difference in a "serous" conversation and what is going on in this thread. And I am not interested in participating in feathering someone else's cap ...

Last edited:

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Concerning sustainability... no man is an island. If anyone thinks they can be sustainable by remaining closed off (individual or family) you are greatly mistaken. You best chance to is form trusted groups where each one has sustainability in an area and barter.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Concerning sustainability... no man is an island. If anyone thinks they can be sustainable by remaining closed off (individual or family) you are greatly mistaken. You best chance to is form trusted groups where each one has sustainability in an area and barter.

Good thing he mentioned community and bartering.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Maybe im not "getting it". Your wanting to choose these topics and keep them on the first page?

Most of the topics seem reasonable on a dedicated prepper forum, this forum, on OSA, is kinda a sub forum, already. I doubt you would get much input other than the few ppl who already start threads and contribute.

Im also not really getting this idea of "sustainability" your referring to. As in, IF america ceases or fall into total collapse? Are you talking about "sustaining" or maintaining what we already have? Or rebuilding a collapsed nation?

I take most prepping serious, not saying you dont. I Prescribe to the Selco philosophy of "NO RULES" in real shtf. I'll beg, borrow, steal or kill to survive and ill do it with other like minded folks.

So while some of these topics are fun to discuss, they aint real and wont apply, except on some fantasy forum.

Those are my questions and thoughts, and aint worth much though.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe im not "getting it….Im also not really getting this idea of "sustainability" your referring to…. I Prescribe to the Selco philosophy of "NO RULES" in real shtf. I'll beg, borrow, steal or kill to survive and ill do it with other like minded folks.

I believe he is suggesting we take this forum to a level beyond of having to do what you’re advocating (hand to mouth survival). We should use the time and resources we presently have to build the necessary support structure to come as close to being self-sufficient as possible. It may not be practical for everyone to attain that level in their present situation, but at least, they can work to that goal. This also includes building relationships to acquire the goods and services that are impractical on our own, and maybe, even locations to go to if you get run out of your chosen spot.

It really doesn’t take much to put together a good long-term supply of food stores, it just requires making the effort. For instance, I just bought 300 pounds of cleaned red winter wheat for just a little over a hundred dollars, which goes a long way in long term food reserves. Gear and equipment can be bought on sale all the time for cheap. If you have to make a few sacrifices to pay for it, so be it.

BTW, I know some folks in Pink, and if something bad were really to happen and you attempted to do as you say you’ll do. I am positive you’ll live a very short life after said event occurred.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I believe he is suggesting we take this forum to a level beyond of having to do what you’re advocating (hand to mouth survival). We should use the time and resources we presently have to build the necessary support structure to come as close to being self-sufficient as possible. It may not be practical for everyone to attain that level in their present situation, but at least, they can work to that goal. This also includes, building relationships, to acquire the goods and services that are impractical on our own, and maybe even locations to go if you get run out of your chosen spot.

It really doesn’t take much to put together a good long-term supply of food stores, it just requires making the effort. For instance, I just bought 300 pounds of cleaned red winter wheat for just little over a hundred dollars, which goes a long way in long term food reserves. Gear and equipment can be bought on sale all the time for cheap. If you have to make a few sacrifices to pay for it, so be it.

BTW, I know some folks in Pink, and if something bad was really to happen, and you do as you say you’ll do. I am positive you’ll live a very short life after said event occurred.

well, you made sense until your last blurb. Now your being silly. Theres lotsa folks in Pink, maybe your folks wouldnt last against my folks. Or my dad can beat up your dad. See how that works.

If this is how this threads gonna be, i dont need to play a part in "DOOMSDAY PREPPERS OSA VERSION".

Good luck.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well, you made sense until your last blurb. Now your being silly. Theres lotsa folks in Pink, maybe your folks wouldnt last against my folks. Or my dad can beat up your dad. See how that works.

If this is how this threads gonna be, i dont need to play a part in "DOOMSDAY PREPPERS OSA VERSION".

Good luck.

The point I was trying to make is that stealing and murdering your neighbors isn’t a plan (your own words), at least not one conducive to living very long. And yes, I do know some folks in Pink, and I know for a fact they are more than ready to defend themselves – and they have a plan. So again, theft and murder isn’t a workable solution, only preparation and cooperation is. I would humbly suggest you start trying to make some friends of your neighbors and not sit around trying to figure out who you’ll go raid first. That will not work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom