Sustainability - An Overview of multiple threads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Weasel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread is proof everyone is a little edgy! We are Americans we know how to survive, this is about people as a community, society may trip a little but as a whole we look out for each other. The same passion we have for our rights that bonds us together is the same passion we have for each other. Will I protect my family against some one wanting to hurt them? Yes the same protection I would offer my neighbor. Nothing changes other than the conveniences we have come a custom to. We will survive we will stand as one, its when we turn our back on our brother is when we fail.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Lurker

Nothing is taken out of context and there is plenty more of that same thought scattered throughout many other threads. Actually, besides the first and last quotes which were from this thread, all of the others came from the same thread from a few weeks ago.

@BB

You actually have done a first by implying I’d be a part of a collective. Not one soul who knows me would ever describe me as being that way, and for what it’s worth, I don’t joke about murdering people either.

Just think about this for a second: If a man you don’t know posted on an internet forum that during a disaster he was going to kill people in his neighborhood, and you had family in that same neighborhood, how would you feel then?

@sklfco

Since that is probably meant for me. With the exception of about 4-5 years when I was a child, and about 3 years as an adult, I haven’t been a city dweller. Nor will I ever be.

@jakerz

Yes it did, and I offer my apologies to the OP and the other readers for my part in it.

@Wild Weasel

You said: “this is about people as a community, society may trip a little but as a whole we look out for each other” I don’t think that is true anymore. When I was growing up I had ~2000 acres to roam, hunt, and fish on. The farmers I grew up around in my teen years (my family included) looked out for, and helped each other when needed. There wasn’t even a need to ask for help, everyone just knew, and responded as needed. The sense of community was like a large extended family.

But today people are different, attitudes and values have changed, and not for the better either. Everyone wants what they want even if it already belongs to someone else. The ideas of what family and responsibility means has been greatly distorted these last couple decades. I guess this is partly a result of the entitlement mentality, because it seems to create dependence and that leads inevitably to shirking obligations. Added to that the greed and self-indulgence that is everywhere these days, it's no wonder there are so many problems in this country.

I was raised to take care of my family, and friends, and there are some things you just don’t do. It may be an over simplification, but the way I see it is, God gave each of us a brain and some advice on how to acquire wisdom in using it; and it has been my experience that if one chooses too, they can avoid 99.99% of life’s problems by exercising that little gift.

BTW, this is the last I plan on saying about this subject.

Last edited:

Wild Weasel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO there is still a community out there. I am not foolish to think that a lot has been lost over the last couple of decades but if we decide to give up on the idea of helping your brother out, then if and when something happens we have truly lost our humanity. There are many of my " neighbors " that I may not go out to dinner with them but if they had a need I would do my best to fill it. If we do not exercise what our forefathers taught us then all will be lost, then we will become like some that have posted" will do whatever needed to survive including murder and pillaging" . If we are to change this country we must go back to the roots that this great country was founded on and change thinking. Start small if its taken decades to fall it will take decades to stand back up.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These past two pages are a great example of why this probably won't work. (shame, too). There could be some good stuff brought up.

New guy, you don't know Lurker well enough to understand what he is saying. Go back and read a hundred or so of his posts and you might get a clue. Having a mindset of having to do whatever is needed to survive isn't playing Atilla the Hun, it's just coming to terms that **** might get ugly and a prepared mind doesnt hesitate when that happens. Also, you will find that an overbearing presence by newbies isn't generally looked well upon. If your serious about being a part of this forum and contributing meaningful posts, ease into it, don't just jump in head first. Hell, this wasn't even you thread to begin with. So, settle in and we will all get to know you a bit. Then you can rant!

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Borrowing your “A Prepared Mind”

A prepared mind knows how to live through rough times by intelligence and understanding. A prepared mind understands its environment and how to adapt to it no matter the situation. A prepared mind girds itself with determination and resoluteness. A prepared mind understands the math between the results of risk versus reward. A prepared mind creates a situation where savagery isn’t something brought upon others because of stupidity or laziness. A prepared mind doesn’t have to resort to killing innocents to live.

I have read plenty of posts on this forum from him and many others. My opinions are formed by what the man says, nothing more. I recognize some men don’t mean what they say, but most usually say more than they intend, I’m sure you know that being a peace officer. Personally, between you and me, I think many on here have been watching way more TV than they should, along with reading too much internet BS.

I’m not much of a big forum contributor kind of guy, so I probably won’t contribute much, if any at all. Especially, since my opinions seem to be so out of the mainstream.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think your out of the mainstream, as far as this section in concerned, I just think that you have began too strong. What I'm trying to offer is advice... I've reread the initial post that brought most of this on, and I believe you are reading too much into his comments. I don't disagree with most of what you say, especially in your last post. I doubt that many, including Lurker, do. Again, what I'm saying is tap the brakes a bit if you want to be taken seriously here. We have seen many different persons on OSA who are way too antagonistic right from the start. No one takes well to that, whether in real life or a forum.

I will say this: if you have read much of the section then you know that some here are serious, some are not, some like to be light hearted and have meaningful contributions, and some like to troll. When persons new to the board are very antoginistic, their seriousness is suspect. Again, if you are as serious as you seem to be, ease in to this and get to know folks. It will be taken a lot better and you will be accepted much more readily..

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@BB

You actually have done a first by implying I’d be a part of a collective. Not one soul who knows me would ever describe me as being that way, and for what it’s worth, I don’t joke about murdering people either.

Just think about this for a second: If a man you don’t know posted on an internet forum that during a disaster he was going to kill people in his neighborhood, and you had family in that same neighborhood, how would you feel then?

Mike, I hate to be the one to tell you this but that comment was not directed at you. As for "the collective" you should consider that there are many, many different collectives out there ... One of the most onerous ones right now are the "prepper collectives" ... You know, the ones where everyone can hardly wait for the world to come crashing down around everyone's ears so they can be so much more important than they are in their real lives ...

IMO there is still a community out there. I am not foolish to think that a lot has been lost over the last couple of decades but if we decide to give up on the idea of helping your brother out, then if and when something happens we have truly lost our humanity. There are many of my " neighbors " that I may not go out to dinner with them but if they had a need I would do my best to fill it. If we do not exercise what our forefathers taught us then all will be lost, then we will become like some that have posted" will do whatever needed to survive including murder and pillaging" . If we are to change this country we must go back to the roots that this great country was founded on and change thinking. Start small if its taken decades to fall it will take decades to stand back up.

The sooner folks, both prepper and non-prepper alike, realize that THIS is the ultimate truth of the matter, the better off we will ALL be ... I tend to think that we, will fare better than folks on the East and West Coasts ... Of course, I'll freely admit that it may just be my rose-colored glasses but I can cite my neighborhood as an example.

I have a couple of neighbors who I simply cannot stand -- one of them is a drunk, the other a deadbeat know-it-all ... I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual, especially on the deadbeat's part ... In the past I have done things for both of these neighbors to help them and they have done things for me. Why?? BECAUSE THEY ARE MY NEIGHBORS ... It's not that hard -- they don't need to "deserve" it, they don't even have to repay the favor, but they have. Why?? BECAUSE THEY ARE MY NEIGHBORS ...

It's not that hard, guys ... Really ...

I don't think your out of the mainstream, as far as this section in concerned, I just think that you have began too strong. What I'm trying to offer is advice... I've reread the initial post that brought most of this on, and I believe you are reading too much into his comments. I don't disagree with most of what you say, especially in your last post. I doubt that many, including Lurker, do. Again, what I'm saying is tap the brakes a bit if you want to be taken seriously here. We have seen many different persons on OSA who are way too antagonistic right from the start. No one takes well to that, whether in real life or a forum.

I will say this: if you have read much of the section then you know that some here are serious, some are not, some like to be light hearted and have meaningful contributions, and some like to troll. When persons new to the board are very antoginistic, their seriousness is suspect. Again, if you are as serious as you seem to be, ease in to this and get to know folks. It will be taken a lot better and you will be accepted much more readily..

:lookaroun I don't think I like the way you said that ... :wink2:

I would agree with the "get to know folks" comment. A lot of times it is easy to focus only on the written word, without facial expression and inflection or conversational content around it, and get the completely wrong impression. Lurker and I have shared spoilt wine with floaties in it, stories about kids and our families and lots of laughs about guys (noobies mostly) telling me that I can't shoot, I can't discern a viable threat, I'm a liability to GC's survival, I'm an uneducated racist, I'm on here simply for the **** I can get (GC would think he'd died and gone to heaven if I were actually that "anxious" ... LOL), blah, blah, blah ... All of these comments were aimed at me for no other reason than I am a GURL on a gun board. (Well, except for the uneducated racist thing -- that was because I wouldn't rent a gun to a minor ... who happened to be a foreigner ... Long story ... lol)

Now I get comments about me thinking my opinion is more important because my post count is what it is ... The really great thing about all this is that just because I'm a GURL and just because I like to chitty-chat with my friends on OSA I'm somehow marginalized by guys (again, read: noobies) who have a pre-conceived notion of what a GURL on a gun board is like ...

It is what it is, guys ... Here's a GREAT example of OSA's community. GC and I are making plans to attend Redmax's funeral. We only met Steve one time -- to do a gun deal and have some lunch -- but we both got to know him through this board and are both deeply affected by his passing. Why?? Because we considered him a FRIEND. He is not the first OSA funeral we will have attended. He will not be the last. We do things for folks that we've met only on OSA all the time. Because we've gotten to know them and consider them dear friends, even though we've not met a lot of them in person. I don't agree with every single thing these guys have ever posted on OSA ... I'm sure there have been plenty of times they've looked at my post and said to themselves, "Self, wtf is she thinking?" and then they proceeded to hand me my arse over my comments. I'm still here.

Bottom line is, you can either play or not ... I can tell you this, though. If you decide to NOT participate in this community, it will be your loss ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom