Swine Sunday - Part Deux

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well,it's my mom's birthday today, so I invited her up to sample my smoking wares/prowess.

Decided to do St. Louis style ribs today, instead of baby back ribs. Mostly because that's all they had at the store, lol. Was gonna do another pork butt, but the only ones they had were 10.5-11.5 pounds, which was just too much for us, this time. Then thought about a brisket, but I'm not a huge brisket fan, personally. Looked at doing some beef ribs, but I'll do that next time, I think. So for today, it's just a couple of racks of St. Louis-style ribs.

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_228_zpsdf6be4b4.jpg

A couple of notes about St. Louis style ribs... they are flatter than baby backs, and they are more uniform in thickness and length (bone length). They also have a nice-sized little chunk of meat on the underside of the bone that I cut off and season and cook along with them, but it finishes faster. Meathead from AmazingRibs.com calls this the "Chef's bonus" and boy is it! :D You can see it cooking in-between the ribs in the pic above. I pulled these pieces off at about 2 hours and here they are:

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_244_zpsd79c0037.jpg

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_247_zpsad137c7c.jpg

Perfectly cooked, juicy, chewy, a little bark, used Meathead's Memphis Dust on all of it, along with kosher salt underneath... man, they are gonna be GOOD!

:D

Made some more of my "cowboy beans", but instead of ground beef, I put the rest of my pulled pork from last weekend in there. Chopped it up, some ranch-style beans (not drained), canned corn (drained), and sweated up some onions and green and yellow peppers, mixed it all up and added in about 1/4 of a small bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet & Spicy. Oh, and the wife's doing mashed taters.

Can't wait!!! :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom