Tablet vs. ipad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using my gen 1 iPad for several years, and want something new.

What are your thoughts / suggestions on new iPads (std or mini) and the various tablets now on the market.

I don't do games, or need a camera on it, but I would like to do some of the productivity apps like Word and Excel. I also enjoy the Nook, Kindle apps on my iPad now.

Opinions?

Dangdar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing about ipads is that love it or hate it IOS has proven to be pretty secure vs. the other operating systems. Yes you might pay more but not having to buy a new device every 18-24 months has some advantages. Think that microsoft office is available now for ipad for $99.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The prices Apple charges for cheap flash memory is rediculous. I've been trying to talk myself into a Surface 2in1, but I dont need it. The Kindle Fire HDX is my go-to entertainment device,but I couldn't see doing any real work on it. Love Android op systems, but its limited

frmbama

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your looking for Word and Excel on a tablet check out a WIndows Tablet. You ought to be able to find the first or second tablets on sale for between 200 and 300 bucks. Anytime the new models come out the older ones go on sale. iPads are generally twice the cost of other brands.
I say this as I type on my over priced ipad....lol..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had an iPad for a couple of years and got tired of the limitations and workarounds needed for business use. I switched to a Microsoft Surface Pro and have not regretted my choice. If you want something that will work like an iPad for email, web surfing, and useful apps but also has the capability to function like a business laptop then a tablet that runs the Windows Operating System seems like the only choice.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm an Android guy myself, but the Apple products are definitely respectable. I like Samsung tablets because they sit more or less at the top of the totem pole with regard to the hardware, Touchwiz is a pretty good interface and they have an external SD slot so you can't really run out of storage space. They also use a standard micro USB port to charge and you can use a flash drive with a couple dollar USB adapter. They will also work with an external HDD, but it's best to use a powered USB hub because the tablet doesn't have the power to run most HDDs on their own. I also like the ability to clean the icons off the home screen and have only the ones I use regularly along with some clean-looking widgets. I hate the app grid that IOS requires. Basically, the difference between the iPad and an Android tablet is flexibility. The Apple stuff has some more refined apps for business, but the Android stuff has mostly caught up and offers a lot more flexibility in general use. I have no trouble with basic Office tasks on my Note 8.0, but I think some of the IOS apps are a little more refined. I also love the S Pen that comes with the Note series from Samsung. I don't use it all the time, but it's super handy when needed. Spend a few hours on Youtube and Google and you'll find a ton of head-to-head comparisons that are really fair to both products. You should also consider phone/tablet integration. Like products integrate together a little better. I love that I can work the same functions and files on my Note 2 phone and Note 8 tablet. You'll probably notice a little disconnect when working iPhone to Android, but I bet it's not terrible. Finally, Android stuff is usually cheaper.

I'm pretty sure IOS has a Kindle and Nook app, and I know Android does too.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an Asus Transformer Prime (Android) and like it a lot. If I was to buy a new one in today's market, it would have to be a 2-in-1. What you can do overall with a 2-in-1 compared to a tablet can't be compared. It is a laptop, with touchscreen interface, the best of both worlds in my opinion. You just have the weight, heat, and battery life of a laptop as well.

Apple is really limited by App selections, especially if you want to use it for work purposes. Android has it's quirks that can be frustrating, but of the two, I prefer Android by far. I hate how you have to update IOS, it's ridiculous. Win 8 on the other hand, well, it is Windows, you can't really compare the other 2 to Win 8.

You aren't looking at too much more price wise going from a decent high end tablet to a 2-in-1 either.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have switched to a Microsoft Surface Pro for my tablet needs and also use it as my desktop. I did get a docking station, blue tooth keyboard and mouse. I also have an external touch monitor. It is great to be able to just pull it out of the docking station and take it with me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom