Tagging Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is my first deer season here in OK, and since the rules here are a little different, can someone explain the tagging process to me?

When I purchased my antlered and antlerless tags, they just printed out the piece of paper with the tag names on them. That's all I received. In California we used to get actual tags with wire on them for us to fill out, and in Texas we just used Masking tape and a sharpie and put our name, number, method of kill and location on it. Can someone fill me in? Thanks!

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is my first deer season here in OK, and since the rules here are a little different, can someone explain the tagging process to me?

When I purchased my antlered and antlerless tags, they just printed out the piece of paper with the tag names on them. That's all I received. In California we used to get actual tags with wire on them for us to fill out, and in Texas we just used Masking tape and a sharpie and put our name, number, method of kill and location on it. Can someone fill me in? Thanks!

As far as I am aware, as soon as you move the deer from where you gutted it, you need a tag on it that has your first initial, last name and license number.

Depending on how you do the check-in (i have yet to try the online checkin), the person at the check station will give you a transport tag (this is why I will never understand why someone will drive from woodward to Terry's taxidermy to check a deer, theres gotta be at least 2 dozen checks stations between here and there)

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as I am aware, as soon as you move the deer from where you gutted it, you need a tag on it that has your first initial, last name and license number.

Depending on how you do the check-in (i have yet to try the online checkin), the person at the check station will give you a transport tag (this is why I will never understand why someone will drive from woodward to Terry's taxidermy to check a deer, theres gotta be at least 2 dozen checks stations between here and there)

When you say "you need a tag on it" does that mean anything special or just a piece of paper or masking tape?

Does anyone else know how it goes with online checkin?

Thanks!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Online checkin is awesome. I have done it in the field before I ever gutted it. You just go in there and enter all the information and they give you a confirmation number. That's it! Just take that # with you to the processor or taxidermist and it is same as carcass tag. Wish they'd make an iphone app for it!

corbinlee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Straight from the Reg Book

Field Tagging

Upon harvesting a deer, all hunters, including lifetime license holders, must immediately attach their name, license number, and date and time of harvest securely to the carcass. The attached item can be anything, as long as it contains the required information. This information must remain attached to the carcass until it is checked.

In addition, all annual license holders are required to complete the "Record of Game" section on the license form.

danielp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used the online check in using my iPhone in the field. All you do is enter all your info and they give you a conformation number right there. After that you are good to go to the processor or to the house with it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Straight from the Reg Book

Field Tagging

Upon harvesting a deer, all hunters, including lifetime license holders, must immediately attach their name, license number, and date and time of harvest securely to the carcass. The attached item can be anything, as long as it contains the required information. This information must remain attached to the carcass until it is checked.

In addition, all annual license holders are required to complete the "Record of Game" section on the license form.

Ok, for those that don't have an Iphone, or cell, or don't want to mess with it and don't have a printer in the field,
You just have to have the above information on the deer, and check it in at the first available check station. They still have the paper check in.
I was talking to a guy at the check station today, and he said he was amazed at how people are tagging their deer in the field.
Some have business cards, some have paper, and a sharpie with string to tie it on, and so on.
I use a nylon zip tie and a fine point sharpie to write the info required on the inside and outside of the zip tie. that way if the outside getts rubbed off by dragging, the inside will be good to go.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, for those that don't have an Iphone, or cell, or don't want to mess with it and don't have a printer in the field,
You just have to have the above information on the deer, and check it in at the first available check station. They still have the paper check in.
I was talking to a guy at the check station today, and he said he was amazed at how people are tagging their deer in the field.
Some have business cards, some have paper, and a sharpie with string to tie it on, and so on.
I use a nylon zip tie and a fine point sharpie to write the info required on the inside and outside of the zip tie. that way if the outside getts rubbed off by dragging, the inside will be good to go.

Not a bad idea. I met a guy who has dog tags made with all his info on them, writes the rest in sharpie on the back and tiewraps it on.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Online check in is the way to go. I can't imagine driving to a check station still! Nearest check station from my place is like 30 miles one way!!

I'm guessing check stations are gonna be completely phased out and before long it will be online only or the might set up a tele-check system also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom