Talimena drive...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to ride the bike over there and camp at the state park. If anyone hasn't heard about about there is a cemetery called Maplewood east of Eureka Springs AR that has some of the best fall foliage I've seen. The only better was Maggie Valley NC when I went out to ride Tail of the Dragon years ago.

Wife and I have seen two riders and a passenger die on the Talimena Drive. Take it easy and enjoy the ride/view.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 2008, we took the advice of some friends in Arkansas to drive Highway 71 south from around Springdale, AR down to Mena. So, we did one day heading up through Tulsa to the Natural Falls State Park in OK and then on to Springdale and down. Spent the night down near Mena somewhere (maybe just off of I-40, and then we went on down to Mena and on to Talahina.

Day one was pretty good, but it was a bit too cloudy on the drive from Mena to Talahina for the colors to really be vivid.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have done the Talimena drive several times and have been disappointed by going too soon. Generally around the first of November is a better choice. The last time we drove it we made a 2-3 day motorcycle trip of it and actually started from Eureka Springs AR down Hwy 23 thru the Boston Mtns on south to Mt. Magazine and then on to Mena before heading west on the Talimena drive. Traveling that far north to south you can't miss some awesome colors somewhere along the way

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't recommend the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge enough!
https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/parks/queen-wilhelmina-state-park/accommodations/lodgeWe don't like to 'follow the crowds' so I made the reservations in August '17 and had a great time just relaxing and enjoying the surroundings.
IMG_20170812_064150738_HDR.jpg

The restaurant was top notch while watching the many hummingbirds swarm the numerous feeders.
IMG_20170812_070458263_HDR.jpg

We really lucked out on our room selection having never been there before.
IMG_20170811_181610019_HDR.jpg

Will definitely be going back in the near future!
IMG_20170812_173509788.jpg

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife and I have seen two riders and a passenger die on the Talimena Drive. Take it easy and enjoy the ride/view.
there are scenic pull-offs ever few miles on the drive, so u can stop and look around ,,even hiking trails up on the drive,, last time i was there the speed limit was 50 on the Ark side and 55 on the OK side, so yes we dont need slow pokes driving 30 in a much faster speed zone.. two lane asphalt highway with NO shoulders.so yes drivers keep your eyes on the road,wild animals dart across the road too,..on the Ark side is Mena not any 5 star hotels there,,just a Wal mart super center and a lumber mill ,and Mena is the most well known place in North America for airplane "modifications",, this was where during bill clintons governship the CIA flew in unmarked C-130's full of cocaine, to fund the effort in El savador during Regans presidency again the soviet union in Nicaraguan,,so when Military weapons start showing up in the USA in drug dealers and violent gangs hands , you will know where they came from,, and why the border must be sealed up..Poteau OK is the largest city near by,, also some B&B nearby,, and dont forget to see the worlds largest Viking Runestone at Heavner OK.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prob too early. With normal weather it's usually about 2-3 weeks after south central Colorado, which is at its peak right now. Have friends in Silverton and Lake City sending some great pics.
We always leave that area at the end of August. We've talked about going later to see the aspens in all their glory. Our persimmons have already lost their leaves, and the walnuts are turning and shedding in the Ponca area. Walnuts are always the first to turn. Otherwise still green.

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We always leave that area at the end of August. We've talked about going later to see the aspens in all their glory. Our persimmons have already lost their leaves, and the walnuts are turning and shedding in the Ponca area. Walnuts are always the first to turn. Otherwise still green.

Wow, where are your persimmons? Mine in south Tulsa are just starting to turn yellow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom