Tattered flag confiscated by police in Henryetta

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think this is absolute crap. If you don't like what someone is doing with their own property, you can use your freedom of speech to voice your disapproval -- but you have NO RIGHT to use force and theft to make them follow YOUR preferences for THEIR property, when what they're doing doesn't threaten any of your rights. That is one of the biggest problems with Americans -- willingness to use force/law to impose their personal beliefs on others.

progun40

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been a member on here for several years, and many of you know me and have personally met me. I cant speak in great detail about this because the case has been sent to the District Attorney at his request.

Officers were called by veterans who had asked the owner to remove the flag. The department did contact the district attorney before making contact with the owner. Based on his recommendation the flag was seized as evidence in this case. I can tell you this, the flag had been intentionally mutilated, cut and was badly discolored. Here is a picture of the flag. View attachment flag.JPG

Also the Chief did not say anything about the flag being dirty, he stated that the flag had been mutilated. Based off of state statute that is a felony. T.21 S.372

There are several other facts in this case not reported in the media.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been a member on here for several years, and many of you know me and have personally met me. I cant speak in great detail about this because the case has been sent to the District Attorney at his request.

Officers were called by veterans who had asked the owner to remove the flag. The department did contact the district attorney before making contact with the owner. Based on his recommendation the flag was seized as evidence in this case. I can tell you this, the flag had been intentionally mutilated, cut and was badly discolored. Here is a picture of the flag. View attachment 23708

Also the Chief did not say anything about the flag being dirty, he stated that the flag had been mutilated. Based off of state statute that is a felony. T.21 S.372

There are several other facts in this case not reported in the media.

Thank you for the clarification.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, Progun.

State law may prohibit that, but I'm betting if this goes anywhere, state law will be held unconstitutional, as it specifically outlaws speech as well. That's a blatant 1A violation, and US v Eichman probably overrules the rest of the statute.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

State law may prohibit that, but I'm betting if this goes anywhere, state law will be held unconstitutional, as it specifically outlaws speech as well. That's a blatant 1A violation, and US v Eichman probably overrules the rest of the statute.

According to OSCN, this has never been cited in a court decision, so I reckon it's not been vetted to date. It will be interesting, for sure.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

What about a municipal ordinance?

Latest posts

Top Bottom