Tattered flag confiscated by police in Henryetta

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KABOOKIE

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm bothered by a lot of things. Jack booted thugs making up laws and taking because of what they think is "right" is one of them. What? Are these guys going to march in and take The flag that is displayed at the museum of American History? This is nothing more than an overreach of authority.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd say if you wanted to fly a special flag that was tattered on special occasions, say Veterans Day or the Fourth of July, then yes you should/could fly that flag. But for everyday use, no get and keep a servicable flag.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is a lack of respect, why people fly tattered flags. Those people have a lack of pride and mearly tout it as if they do. A tattered flag is almost as bad as some scum bag buring one to me. Pi$$'s me off.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think that awesome 3 paragraph article tells the whole story. I would bet dimes to doughnuts the business owner had been asked to replace it over time and when he didn't some golfing buddy with the DA got the ball rolling or some similar scenario.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That may be the case, milsurp, but the statutes are unconstitutional. Especially the part about "...cast contempt...by word..." That is by definition speech, and explicitly protected under the First Amendment.

I'm curious too as to why the business wasn't identified.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad the Gestapo showed up and removed that business's flag. The flag only stands for liberty when we say it does.

No joke. I was thinking the same thing - there is no law against flying a flag incorrectly. Does that make him a douche for doing so? Yes it does. Does removing his property and his right to free speech on private property sort of piss on that same flag and all it stands for? Yes it does.

I myself am a stickler for flag etiquette, but I'm also a libertarian at heart and understand the difference between what's right/wrong (but still legal), and what we can actually step in as a people and regulate.

From that article:
One man watching the removal voiced his approval saying, "we have soldiers fighting overseas and, to see the flag disrespected that way is a shame. In New York, they might get away with it. This is Oklahoma and we won't stand for it."

Does anyone else see the irony that this guy failed to see?

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No joke. I was thinking the same thing - there is no law against flying a flag incorrectly. Does that make him a douche for doing so? Yes it does. Does removing his property and his right to free speech on private property sort of piss on that same flag and all it stands for? Yes it does.

I myself am a stickler for flag etiquette, but I'm also a libertarian at heart and understand the difference between what's right/wrong (but still legal), and what we can actually step in as a people and regulate.

From that article:

Does anyone else see the irony that this guy failed to see?

^^^ +1000

Latest posts

Top Bottom