Taurus in hot water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazilianboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taurus is in hot water in Brazil. I don't know if you guys are aware, but down here, sadly, the only option of weapons we can easily pick are made by Taurus. We have some crazy nationalistic law that forbids the importing of foreign made weapons ( Smiths, Glocks...).

Since Taurus enjoys a competition-free market (Monopoly), the quality of the weapons they are supplying the country are terrible and an enormous number of accidental discharges are being reported.

Today, the media source Globo ( Like NBC in America) did a 10-minute report on the various accidents and malfunctions regarding the products made by Taurus.

The accidents include:

Jams

Discharges without trigger press

Gun parts popping out of pistols after 40 or 50 shots

Pistols shooting in FULL AUTO

Serius stuff, huh?

There is even a video going around of a guy shaking slightly a Taurus pistol and discharging the little thing without pressing the trigger. :eek2:

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We know a lot of this stuff happens, I honestly would rather pick up a hipoint pistol over a taurus. Talked to a guy once about them and he raved about the multiple safeties and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread but it's just not my thing. I know some of the revolvers are ok and have looked at a 357MAG, I also know that some of the stuff from before the split from S&W is supposed to be ok.

But honestly it sucks they have such a monopoly down there. Probably be safer to make something yourself or just import parts and build your own.

And the recall is quite large from what I can tell https://guncarrier.com/the-taurus-pistol-recall/

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stopped by a gun shop a couple of weeks ago and a man came in bringing back a new Taurus revolver. He had bought it I think for his daughter as a self defense weapon.

The first time they took it to load and shoot it the cylinder just turned in the frame without the cylinder stop catching it. It was new in box as they had looked at one in the display case and never opened the box in the shop.

The shop gave them a new one and took this one out to look at it to make sure it worked. When the customer left the shop guy told me that wasn't the first time they had seen that problem and that he was ready to quit selling Taurus because of the many quality issues.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We know a lot of this stuff happens, I honestly would rather pick up a hipoint pistol over a taurus. Talked to a guy once about them and he raved about the multiple safeties and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread but it's just not my thing. I know some of the revolvers are ok and have looked at a 357MAG, I also know that some of the stuff from before the split from S&W is supposed to be ok.

But honestly it sucks they have such a monopoly down there. Probably be safer to make something yourself or just import parts and build your own.

And the recall is quite large from what I can tell https://guncarrier.com/the-taurus-pistol-recall/

I don't know the laws regarding something like this in Brazil and I'm not sure what the repercussions could be if the OP were to make something or import parts and build his own. I do know I would be very careful before I did something like that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom