Ten Yards And I Miss Ahhhhrrggghhh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Bow hunting this morning, I had a nice doe walk in, would have been my first deer with a bow, and only my second deer ever. I got stood up, turned around and had my bow pointed at her. She gets clear of the brush and I draw...about half way. My left arm locked up, and it took probably 5 sec to pull the last few inches till let off. Then I was shaking a bit from the strain, but heck it's a ten yard shot right? Long story short, I put it right under her. I think I was gripping the bow cause of what it took to pull back. I have NEVER had a problem drawing the bow before..........

Ten freaking yards......NO EXCUSE for a miss.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aint bowhunting cool...? I bet I had 3 sure fire dead first deer,...or so I thought,...before I actually got the first one on the ground. Keep at it....it'll happen.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Should I do something while in the stand so I am ready to pull the stupid thing back? I usualy draw a couple times before light just for a "warm up" I didn't this morning. Thinking next week I will do some push ups and stuff just so my muscles aren't as stiff before leaving the house.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They were moving good this morning... I had an 8 or 10 point come down a game path... i wasn't ready (took my hand out of my sling and put it in my armpit to warm it up) and he ran off the other way... about 20 minutes later a doe and a fawn came in, I was ready but they were suspicious.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the club. What you are describing is definately deer fever. It happens to all of us. Learning to control it until after the shot is the hard part. No worries, there is nothing wrong with you. Happens to everyone.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm starting to think missing is better than having to drag one out. You still get that rush!!!

Yep seen a nice buck on my way in yesterday around 3:30 on the way out seen a heard a couple looked Big but they were so far away could'nt see what the were

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as it isn't an issue with your bow being set too high, probably just good ol buck fever. It is a feeling that no drug or "extreme sport" could ever give me and I hope it never goes away. I don't care if it is just a doe or yearling that is 15 yards away from my stand, I will shake like a leaf up there sometimes. I try to pay more attention to what I am doing and not so much what the deer is doing, and focus on my breathing. I talk to myself and just kinda go through all the steps. Doesn't always work of course, but it does help me sometimes.

I did find out something interesting this year that I never knew, and didn't find out till I was in the field. If I am holding my bow parallel to the ground, I cannot for the life of me pull it back. Not quite sure why, but just can't. Once I turn it 90 degrees and have it like I would normally shoot, I don't have a problem at all. Kinda like you, I experienced that while stalking a doe and was like, wtf? Hang with it, you'll get there and it will be the greatest feeling ever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom