The Annual "Looking for a Generator" thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both my portable generators have off brand motors, one looks like a Honda copy and one like a Kawasaki copy. I figure I will never run either one of them long enough to wear them out. Ran once for 7 days during an ice storm back in 2006, another time for 2 days, another time 4 days in the wind storm last summer. No appreciable oil consumption, no strange noises. I overly drain the fuel even though it is no Alky stuff and change the oil after an event so it is ready to go. I will pull the cable through every few months just to coat with oil inside. When needed, one has not failed to start on the first pull every time. The other needs 2-3 pulls. No dead batteries.

We all need to find what works for us.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed. We did my electrical panel yesterday, an entire replacement with significant upgrade and lots of room to grown, with outside plug for the generator and a breaker to switch it over. I'm very happy with the setup, now all I have to do is pick up a generator and plug it in, kill the mains and fire it up. I think I've found one from a member here for a good price. Overall, I will be saving a lot of what we budgeted or what this project would have cost, some by buying used, some by trading out an AR for labor costs, some by having a friend who is a contractor who bought all the parts at his discounted price.

I'm pretty pleased with the outcome - again, assuming things go well with the generator purchase, which I anticipate next week.

Thanks for all of the advice.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. We did my electrical panel yesterday, an entire replacement with significant upgrade and lots of room to grown, with outside plug for the generator and a breaker to switch it over. I'm very happy with the setup, now all I have to do is pick up a generator and plug it in, kill the mains and fire it up. I think I've found one from a member here for a good price. Overall, I will be saving a lot of what we budgeted or what this project would have cost, some by buying used, some by trading out an AR for labor costs, some by having a friend who is a contractor who bought all the parts at his discounted price.

I'm pretty pleased with the outcome - again, assuming things go well with the generator purchase, which I anticipate next week.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Depending on what you intend to power in the house might dictate what you want to spend. With all the sensitive electronics like computers, televisions, DVRs, and other items I wanted a generator that delivered "clean" power. That is why I settled on the Honda. It was expensive but worth it to me. And, it is very quiet. I also like the Eco mode which throttles up or down the generator as needed for the power demand.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on what you intend to power in the house might dictate what you want to spend. With all the sensitive electronics like computers, televisions, DVRs, and other items I wanted a generator that delivered "clean" power. That is why I settled on the Honda. It was expensive but worth it to me. And, it is very quiet. I also like the Eco mode which throttles up or down the generator as needed for the power demand.

Champion produces a number of generators that generate "clean" power. That's what I went with. Costco in Tulsa has this model in stock. Plus Champion has good customer service if you need it.

http://www.costco.com/.product.100220385.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom