The balloon is going up over Atlanta now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not really sure. It seems like he turned briefly and haphazardly then kept running. The officer thought his life was endangered by a taser fired from a distance beyond the range of a taser.
Fast developing cause and effect situation.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, from what I could see, the runner didn't turn around, but instead, he reached back with his right arm and "fired" at the police. I don't know their policies on use of force, but did the officer in pursuit "know" that all the perp had was a tazer? The officer might have thought that he had taken the other officer's handgun.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not viewed the videos but this situation raises a question I have long had. After an assailant poses a deadly threat and the officer or citizen has decided to shoot, how long a time is it still reasonable to shoot if the person no longer poses a threat. Many people seem to think you should instantaneously stop pulling the trigger...I do not think that is humanly possible.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not viewed the videos but this situation raises a question I have long had. After an assailant poses a deadly threat and the officer or citizen has decided to shoot, how long a time is it still reasonable to shoot if the person no longer poses a threat. Many people seem to think you should instantaneously stop pulling the trigger...I do not think that is humanly possible.

I think if the officer thinks the suspect can be a threat to others he can shoot the fleeing suspect.
And like you said, all this is happening in split seconds, with the officer possibly having tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, all kinds of variables.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, from what I could see, the runner didn't turn around, but instead, he reached back with his right arm and "fired" at the police. I don't know their policies on use of force, but did the officer in pursuit "know" that all the perp had was a tazer? The officer might have thought that he had taken the other officer's handgun.
I heard that APD issues multi-shot tazers but don't know for sure. If a suspect takes an officer's tazer, he's in mortal danger. Tazers incapacitate so it's reasonable to think the an incapacitated officer's firearm could be taken while incapacitated. You bring up a good question as to what the other officer may have not known but either way it's a good shoot in my eyes.

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many people honestly think that there is a white LEO right now that wants to shoot anyone, let alone a black person?!? Even if you are clearly in the right, you will be crucified. I am a Georgia boy through and through and will always call Atlanta my home town. But what it has become truly breaks my heart.

The PD has been ineffective for YEARS and hasn't gotten any better under Mayor Bottoms or Chief Shield's watch. AS a matter of fact, the lawlessness has escalated long before this BLM madness started. Interstates (and major roads though town) are routinely shut down because of street racing and there is often a mass of ATVs that terrorize people in the streets. APD hasn't done a DAMN thing about it, either.

There is a word of caution for my Oklahoma City people. OKC is very, VERY similar to what Atlanta looked like in the late 80s and early 90s. It *used* to be a great place to live...but not so much anymore. I see that Mayor McSelfie is very proud about how OKC has grown....well, I wouldn't be so happy about it. A lot of it are transplants from places that like to bring their ****** politics with them. I fear for what OKC may be like in 15-20 years.

I heard that APD issues multi-shot tazers but don't know for sure. I

This is a true statement.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was just two people in a cause and effect situation.
Neither of them represents black people and neither of them represents the cops.
If I’m the cop in that situation, I’m not in fear for my life, but I am frustrated.
What happens when he incapacitates you and takes your weapon? Are you in fear of your life yet? Are you pissed at yourself for letting him get your taser now your weapon? Why didn't I take him out?

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

It's entirely possible to quit shooting when the threat is over, if that's the way you trained. During stressful,situations like this you'll act according to the way you trained. It's an almost automatic response. The psychiatrist explained it to me in some technical psychological terms that at the time just flew over my head.

I remember the voice of our range master, Jack Bales, at CLEET in 1979 in my head. He said "From the 25 yard line you'll fire one round, single action, and holster your weapon on my command."
His words were crystal clear as I raised my revolver, cocked the hammer, fired one round and holstered my revolver.

I never heard the shot. But the muzzle and cylinder flash are still indelibly burned into my mind. Then I heard my partner screaming "He's still coming". And for just a few seconds I couldn't see anything. The psych told me why this happened but I don't remember the term he used. I could hear running footsteps and then nothing.

When I was able to focus again the gunman was face down on the ground in front of us. Arms stretched out forward with his hands still on his rifle. My partner grabbed the rifle and I turned him over. I was still having a hard time focusing and at first didn't see any wounds. I remember saying to my partner "I think I missed."

My partner pulled his jacket back, lifted up his shirt and then we could see a bullet wound just about 2 inches to the right of his left nipple. By then he was struggling to breathe. Kneeling beside him I remember putting my left arm under his shoulders and propping him up on my knee thinking that might help him breathe easier. He took about 3 more deep labored breaths and then no more. Wainwright, Alaska, October 9th 1984.

Everything I did was because of how I was trained. They were almost automatic responses. It took a few years to really understand all of this. I changed how I trained after that. Even though I'm retired now I still train. I still play the what if games. I still pay attention to my surroundings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom