the cost of wind power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got any references that will independently confirm that?

been watching the renewables for years. those numbers are correct and i welcome you to look for yourself that way you will have the satisfaction of knowing. i am not against wind or solar but i think they should stand more competitive with conventional power and not be subsidized. it also pisses me off that the big wind companies won't pay their fair share of their ad valorem taxes.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sister-in-law lives up in the Colorado Springs area. She tells the story of a guy east of Colorado Springs that lives near a commercial wind generator. Supposedly, he now has issues with trying to sleep at night and other health issues that he never had before. She said that he has tried to sell his home and move elsewhere, but no one wants to buy his home.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sister-in-law lives up in the Colorado Springs area. She tells the story of a guy east of Colorado Springs that lives near a commercial wind generator. Supposedly, he now has issues with trying to sleep at night and other health issues that he never had before. She said that he has tried to sell his home and move elsewhere, but no one wants to buy his home.
I can see that

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This may sound absurd to some of y'all, but the best way forward would be to build our houses underground. Natural insulation! Solatubes could provide most of the light during the day. Could have a small bank of solar collectors and an individual windmill for each residence.

:anyone:
Quite a few underground homes in the Kay County area and surrounding counties built into hillsides. I was friends with one owner. His was one long house with a thermal window in every room looking out and outdoor murals on the back walls. I'm guessing 1500 sq ft.
He burned a lot of wood that he had delivered in a very efficient stove that was equipped with a heat exchanger and fan to move heated air into every room during the winter.
Being underground in the summer a small AC unit kept it cool from an inverter/battery system that got recharged by his wind tower. They had propane for cooking and electrical backup in case of emergency. In the 10 or so years I knew him before he passed away, he never used the backup electrical.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They actually had a few articles about home-made windchargers (the vertical ones, made from barrel halves), battery banks, and how to rig a refrigerator with an automotive (York type) AC compressor and a DC motor.

But I'm pretty sure all that worked better with small dwellings rather than luxury homes... :D
:drunk2L
Lots of the old homesteads used wind with the DC generators built into the windmills that ran their water pumps. Used DC bulbs to light the homes. I hear they are highly sought after by those wanting an alternative to power from a grid.

image.jpg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of the old homesteads used wind with the DC generators built into the windmills that ran their water pumps. Used DC bulbs to light the homes. I hear they are highly sought after by those wanting an alternative to power from a grid.

image.jpg
A note of trivia: Aermotors are water pumps; their Web site even says they aren't suitable for generating electricity. I looked them up after we went to see my great-grandparents' old farmstead up on the caprock in Garza County, TX; the butane tank and Aermotor windmill were all that were left of it, the rest of it being a cotton field.

While we were there, my mom's cousin's husband told me about "stripping cotton" when it came time to harvest it. I told him I used the Roy Clark method (I never picked cotton).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A note of trivia: Aermotors are water pumps; their Web site even says they aren't suitable for generating electricity. I looked them up after we went to see my great-grandparents' old farmstead up on the caprock in Garza County, TX; the butane tank and Aermotor windmill were all that were left of it, the rest of it being a cotton field.

While we were there, my mom's cousin's husband told me about "stripping cotton" when it came time to harvest it. I told him I used the Roy Clark method (I never picked cotton).
It was just a pic of a windmill or wind engine as some called them just to show a general representation. What's cool is that you can still buy parts and rebuild any that are broken.
There is even a forum for those that want to build/repair/buy windmill generators.
https://www.vintagewindmillforum.com/viewforum.php?f=7
We have two windmills at the farm that still rotate although the pumps are no longer serviceable.

Last edited:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it's off topic at this point, but I'm curious. I don't know about yall, but have you ever met a farmer that followed directions or warnings?

I can't even begin to explain how many things I saw repaired with a torch and some wire hangers. Old plow shears cut and welded into specialty, job specific tools. JB Weld and steel putty fixes. Spark plug oil pan drain plugs. Vaseline soaked shop rag gas can plugs. One time, the Minneapolis Moline frame finally gave way right in front of the diff, put some bottle jacks underneath to level, wrapped a comealong around it to pull it back together, cut some strips out of his flatbed and welded it good enough to get it back to the barn. Worked out so well, he mowed with that tractor another twenty years like that. Welded patches back into the bed.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's off topic at this point, but I'm curious. I don't know about yall, but have you ever met a farmer that followed directions or warnings?

I can't even begin to explain how many things I saw repaired with a torch and some wire hangers. Old plow shears cut and welded into specialty, job specific tools. JB Weld and steel putty fixes. Spark plug oil pan drain plugs. Vaseline soaked shop rag gas can plugs. One time, the Minneapolis Moline frame finally gave way right in front of the diff, put some bottle jacks underneath to level, wrapped a comealong around it to pull it back together, cut some strips out of his flatbed and welded it good enough to get it back to the barn. Worked out so well, he mowed with that tractor another twenty years like that. Welded patches back into the bed.
You do what you have to do with the resources at hand.
I've used broken disk blades cut and reshaped to weld wings on my grader blade and any number of other "fixuns".

Latest posts

Top Bottom