The Joys Of Being An Empty Nester. Jeff Allen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When it was time for the youngest to leave home, I walked him around the house and pointed out all the dining room furniture, living room furniture, and his bedroom furniture. Told him it was all his and he had 60 days to get it to his new home. He was 23 years old, still hanging around the house, had a decent job, enough to afford an apartment, etc. Kinda hated pushing him out as he as a super good kid, but it was time for a nudge.
For a couple weeks, felt like crap, missing him, but probably the best decision for him and in retrospect.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Empty nest?

PARTY TIME!

All 3 have hit a bad stretch and ASKED to move back for a short time. 2 grandsons hit a rough stretch and ASKED if the move in for a few months.
None were denied, none over stayed or had to be nudged. No sad times, when they left.

Times are hard. Seen a "blog"? I wish I could find. An economist had made some comparisons. The GREAT Depression vs The SILENT Depression (today).

Not exact quotes, but what I remember he stated:

Avg income, inflation adj, vs today
$4800. $86,000. $55,0000

Avg new house
$6000. $160,000. $465,000

New car
$800. $20,000 $80,000

Gasoline
$0.10 gal. $1.71. $3.69

Everyone is aware of the struggles of our families in the '30s. Today's young adults are in real trouble. I wish the speaker had covered taxation. I feel is a huge part of the equation. Greed and failure of wages to keep up are another piece.

A major results may be needed. It will be painful and cost many lives, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom