The Lack of "Community" on OSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Joel, In the opening post. I could not have said it better. I once asked for prayers for my Wifes friend, in less then 2 hours the Members on this site bought and mailed to her front door a Hoyer's Lift. Just by me asking the members to pray for her. It doesn't seem like that any more. It's sad, I use to tell everyone I could about this site. Now it's like whats the use, it's loss that special something.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I would have to say it is the Mods that kill this forum and have for the past few years. I am an American Indian, why would I want to join a forum that has a Mod that thinks racism is a big joke and never happens. It's different if a member has that opinion, but when a Mod does, it pushes people away. If you do not believe me read the white privilege thread and lots of things that the Fatboy tactical Mod says on here.

I'm on 5 other forums, and on NONE of them do the mods insert opinion or take sides. If they can add information to the purpose of the thread, they do, but very rarely do they participate in debate, they only monitor it and give warning if lines are about to be crossed.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on 5 other forums, and on NONE of them do the mods insert opinion or take sides. If they can add information to the purpose of the thread, they do, but very rarely do they participate in debate, they only monitor it and give warning if lines are about to be crossed.

So you think some new Mods are in order maybe?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Joel, In the opening post. I could not have said it better. I once asked for prayers for my Wifes friend, in less then 2 hours the Members on this site bought and mailed to her front door a Hoyer's Lift. Just by me asking the members to pray for her. It doesn't seem like that any more. It's sad, I use to tell everyone I could about this site. Now it's like whats the use, it's loss that special something.

Surjimmy, below is the reason why, and reason why it will stay like that. Neither posts came from a thread that had anything to do with churches or religion.

A law against white men going into churches would save so many kids.

What does atheism have to do with it?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
So you think some new Mods are in order maybe?

I'm not sure what the answer is. The owner knows the issues at hand, if he chooses to let things slide and OSA fades off the map, that's his deal.

There's been some knock down drag out threads on here. I've had some with several OSAers over the years. Take GMThunder for example, we disagree on several things, debate things to death, etc, and and the end of, I still feel like we could sit down and have a burger and beer at Hooters and talk about life. It's a different deal when you have a heated debate with a mod/Admin and your posts get deleted or you thread disappears when no rules have been broken, only that your opinion is different and they get tired of arguing with you. AND IT HAS HAPPENED multiple times in the last year and a half, which is when OSA started it's decline.

It's not hard to see what's wrong with OSA, it's just that nothing is done about it.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, it sure seems to me that OSA is no longer the "community" it used to be...back when I became a member; it was a mostly a forum for like-minded people to gather to post and talk about all things firearms related and so on. Access to sell or trade in the Classifieds was restricted to established members with a minimum of 20 substantial posts, as I best recall, to keep us from becoming another Armslist kind of place or to simply provide free advertising for every person who has an FFL or items to sell. It seems to me I could trust the classifieds back then...I could readily see another person's feedback and see what they had to say in their posts and felt more comfortable buying, selling, or trading. I made a bunch of friends from that period of time, some of whom are still here and some who have left. If Jim or Jimmy or Kendall or Jeremy or Chris or (several others) put a gun up for sale or trade, I could feel good about doing a deal with them if it interested me. So OSA went from one owner to JB a few years back, it ran pretty much the same, and now another owner has the reins. Now, anybody can post in the classified with no requirements to become a "member" , lots of members have left, and traffic has noticeably died down. There was an upheaval awhile back it seems and a bunch of folks left the site. Whatever. We are no longer a community of like-minded Oklahoma Shooters. I miss the good ole days of OSA when the trust among the members was there and more readily apparent. Who are we now? I think we are a loose group with a sad sense of loss of the community that we used to be. Does anybody else besides me feel this loss? What can we do about it? And yes, I am saying that one thing I wish we'd do is tighten the reins back up in the classifieds to get away from this Armslist approach.
Signed,
Disgruntled Druryj

So the people posting in the "classifieds" determine the "community" of the forum? Is your expectation that this forum should be a social club?

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the answer is. The owner knows the issues at hand, if he chooses to let things slide and OSA fades off the map, that's his deal.

There's been some knock down drag out threads on here. I've had some with several OSAers over the years. Take GMThunder for example, we disagree on several things, debate things to death, etc, and and the end of, I still feel like we could sit down and have a burger and beer at Hooters and talk about life. It's a different deal when you have a heated debate with a mod/Admin and your posts get deleted or you thread disappears when no rules have been broken, only that your opinion is different and they get tired of arguing with you. AND IT HAS HAPPENED multiple times in the last year and a half, which is when OSA started it's decline.

It's not hard to see what's wrong with OSA, it's just that nothing is done about it.

I've got the same impression of GMThunder. May be an ass sometimes but that's half the fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom