The Tax Man Cometh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife worked last year. We paid $26K in federal tax. She quite December 31 due to the stress her boss was causing her. With her quitting, my tax bill was reduced $16K. It is amazing how much more tax you pay when you step up tax brackets.

This year I created a spreadsheet to calculate exactly how much tax needs to be withheld for both federal and state. I have adjusted my 401K contributions to keep me in a lower tax bracket, because if I go into that higher bracket again, I will be paying 83% more tax - screw that. FJB!

For those who aren't aware, here is the federal tax bracket.
View attachment 266271
As an accountant just so you know your tax rate when you bump up a bracket is only on the amount in that new bracket. So for example if you were bumped into a higher bracket by $100 you are only paying the higher tax on that $100, all the wages below that bracket are still taxed the same.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As an accountant just so you know your tax rate when you bump up a bracket is only on the amount in that new bracket. So for example if you were bumped into a higher bracket by $100 you are only paying the higher tax on that $100, all the wages below that bracket are still taxed the same.
Yep. I’ve tried to explain that to people and it’s a hard concept to grasp. I have graduate degrees in accounting and finance.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Generally only If he got over $11.1 million. Hey turkeyrun? Let me hold a dolla!
Trust proceeds can be taxed depending on the type of trust. Doesn't matter how it's funded. or how much There are

1) federal income tax,
2) federal inheritance tax
3) probate
4) gift taxes potentially
5) state inheritance tax
6) state income tax.

Not saying that was the case, just a possibility. For example, you leave 100k in your 401k, you die, your kids get to pay income tax. Currently you are 100% correct, over 11 million and their are federal inheritance taxes. BTW the democrats are trying to knock that down to 600k again.

Last edited:

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trust proceeds can be taxed depending on the type of trust. Doesn't matter how it's funded. or how much There are

1) federal income tax,
2) federal inheritance tax
3) probate
4) gift taxes potentially
5) state inheritance tax
6) state income tax.

Not saying that was the case, just a possibility. For example, you leave 100k in your 401k, you die, your kids get to pay income tax. Currently you are 100% correct, over 11 million and their are federal inheritance taxes. BTW the democrats are trying to knock that down to 600k again.
Hmm, generally trusts are set up as RLTs until the dad/mom both die, then they become ILTs. If the insurance payments go into an ILT, as is the norm, it's my understanding that they're not taxed up to 11.7 million. I said 11.1 million earlier, that's wrong.

I don't see how it wouldn't be exempted in any case due to the TCJA. That's the way I'm set up and my kids should get everything tax free, aside from the income generated from my businesses, taxes of which would be paid by the businesses themselves as usual.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. I’ve tried to explain that to people and it’s a hard concept to grasp. I have graduate degrees in accounting and finance.
Sounds like you got it covered, I couldn’t tell by reading it if you thought all the wages were taxed higher when you cross a new bracket. Try to help people out when I can

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you got it covered, I couldn’t tell by reading it if you thought all the wages were taxed higher when you cross a new bracket. Try to help people out when I can

Unfortunately in the case of my wife working, 100% of her income is taxed at the higher rate. If I’m in a higher bracket with my income alone, all of my wife’s additional earnings are taxed at that higher rate. It sure makes it a disincentive for her to work. Dems spending money like it’s free is the remaining disincentive.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm, generally trusts are set up as RLTs until the dad/mom both die, then they become ILTs. If the insurance payments go into an ILT, as is the norm, it's my understanding that they're not taxed up to 11.7 million. I said 11.1 million earlier, that's wrong.

I don't see how it wouldn't be exempted in any case due to the TCJA. That's the way I'm set up and my kids should get everything tax free, aside from the income generated from my businesses, taxes of which would be paid by the businesses themselves as usual.
Actually went back and looked it up. You are correct (thank you for your persistance.) There are two way life insurance proceeds may be taxed. Estate tax (currently over 11 million as you cited.) And if the policy had a cash value in which cash had been taken out above and beyond the cost basis. So assumming one had a variable universal life policy, universal life or whole life policy and had paid 10,000 into it and withdrew 15,000 (the cash value grew beyond the original premiums.) The beneficiary would end up with a 1099.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have filed extension and asked accountant to call IRS and consult.

Thank you for the leads and the truth.

I will be looking for another place to spend my C note. Feels like I am doing her job.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually went back and looked it up. You are correct (thank you for your persistance.) There are two way life insurance proceeds may be taxed. Estate tax (currently over 11 million as you cited.) And if the policy had a cash value in which cash had been taken out above and beyond the cost basis. So assumming one had a variable universal life policy, universal life or whole life policy and had paid 10,000 into it and withdrew 15,000 (the cash value grew beyond the original premiums.) The beneficiary would end up with a 1099.
No problem! You gave me a little scare there. I thought I might have missed something.

We have filed extension and asked accountant to call IRS and consult.

Thank you for the leads and the truth.

I will be looking for another place to spend my C note. Feels like I am doing her job.
Yeah, she should have caught it. The IRS may not help at all. They're often not helpful if it's not just a textbook problem you can answer off the website. And I still think the 1099 was mis-issued. It should have been a MISC, not an INT.
Best of luck turkeyrun. Let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom