The Watch Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually like the looks ( and functionality) of some of the watches in this thread, but if you are "collecting" I'd suggest looking at watches that appreciate - otherwise this looks like an expensive hobby.

I've had 5 different Rolexes (currently have a SubLV maxi) and have ALWAYS sold them for more than I've paid.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually like the looks ( and functionality) of some of the watches in this thread, but if you are "collecting" I'd suggest looking at watches that appreciate - otherwise this looks like an expensive hobby.

I've had 5 different Rolexes (currently have a SubLV maxi) and have ALWAYS sold them for more than I've paid.

This is OKshooters - it's nearly 100% expensive hobbies :)

Most of the things I collect are really just in a rotation of daily-users and I don't necessarily collect to invest (so long as I don't lose my ass on them should I decide to sell). Buying them at the right price helps - I'm in both of my Seikos for $130 each (new w/warranty), so I don't feel too bad about anything happening to them. I've looked at some higher-end watches and I don't know that I could ever wear a $1k+ piece of machinery on my wrist, let alone a $3-4k one. I do admire them, but they just aren't for me.

I'm thinkin that this may be the one. Well...one of the ones anyway.

[Broken External Image]

That one is on my list as well - they also make it with Orange numbers (and one with Yellow). It doesn't have an actual compass in it - just the orienteering dial, but it's still pretty cool.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kind of with EZ on the whole watch thing. I might buy a couple at some point just to pass on to the kids if I get a deal on them. I do like me a classy Rolex, but I'm just not going to be wearing it everyday and can't justify it. The Citizen, Seikos, etc. that go for $200 on Amazon are another matter.

And speaking of Amazon, which has some pretty good prices, one thing to watch out for is the warranty. Read the fine print if the factory warranty is important to you. I haven't found a Citizen yet that came with the factory warranty, but I have seen a few of the Seikos that come with it. The overall majority of watches sold on Amazon come with a "sellers warranty". They generally come with NO factory warranty but you get a warranty from the seller, which to me isn't much, since I have no idea if the outfit will be in business or have a relationship with Amazon 6 months from when I buy it. If Amazon stocks and sells it, you get the factory warranty from what I've seen. Just keep that in mind for any online retailer and read the fine print.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm kind of with EZ on the whole watch thing. I might buy a couple at some point just to pass on to the kids if I get a deal on them. I do like me a classy Rolex, but I'm just not going to be wearing it everyday and can't justify it. The Citizen, Seikos, etc. that go for $200 on Amazon are another matter.

And speaking of Amazon, which has some pretty good prices, one thing to watch out for is the warranty. Read the fine print if the factory warranty is important to you. I haven't found a Citizen yet that came with the factory warranty, but I have seen a few of the Seikos that come with it. The overall majority of watches sold on Amazon come with a "sellers warranty". They generally come with NO factory warranty but you get a warranty from the seller, which to me isn't much, since I have no idea if the outfit will be in business or have a relationship with Amazon 6 months from when I buy it. If Amazon stocks and sells it, you get the factory warranty from what I've seen. Just keep that in mind for any online retailer and read the fine print.

Good point. Amazon actually has "Amazon's Warranty" on some of the watches they sell as well (which is better than individual warranty, but not quite manufacturer's warranty).

I've found a few reliable sellers on Ebay that sell watches with factory warranty (and have good reviews backing them up).

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After tons and tons of reviews, websites and exploring different brands, I've decided on this as my next watch...

The Stuhrling Regatta Espora...

As far as details go, it's probably the best Rolex Submariner clone I have ever seen. But don't take my word for it, judge for yourself...

ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51c1wz8qblL.jpg
[Broken External Image]

http://www.stuhrling.com/Mens/Aquadiver/417.02.html

The Stuhrling is an awesome watch. 44mm case, screw down crown, and it's a quartz. A Swiss quartz to boot, but for some reason I thinking of giving an auto another try. :rolleyes2

Therefore, I have this one in mind as well.

The Invicta 0420...

ep.yimg.com_ay_jomashop_invicta_pro_diver_automatic_titanium_mens_watch_0420_9.jpg

http://invictawatch.com/collections/view-model/0420-pro-diver

It too is a nice homage to the Rolex Submariner. It is made entirely of Titanium and has a NH35A 24 jewel S.I.I. Seiko automatic movement.

Here's a video that shows an up close and personal look at it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOLQocavgV0

Of course, I'm still kicking around the idea of going a whole different direction and picking up a pilot's/field watch...

[Broken External Image]

http://www.stuhrling.com/Mens/Aviator/378B.33112.html

I'm driving my self nuts here. :scream: Which one do I pick? :anyone:

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently inherited an Accutron N4, debating on whether or not to have it put back in to running order again. I suspect repair would cost more than it's worth in dollar value, have to decide if it's worth the sentimental value.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently inherited an Accutron N4, debating on whether or not to have it put back in to running order again. I suspect repair would cost more than it's worth in dollar value, have to decide if it's worth the sentimental value.

Man, I was just reading about the Accutron and how Bulova basically revolutionized the accuracy of watches (until Quartz technology got popular). Those things are pretty awesome (and apparently the reason behind the tuning fork in Bulova's logo). Bring it along the next time we do lunch (if you don't mind).

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After tons and tons of reviews, websites and exploring different brands, I've decided on this as my next watch...

The Stuhrling Regatta Espora...

As far as details go, it's probably the best Rolex Submariner clone I have ever seen. But don't take my word for it, judge for yourself...

ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51c1wz8qblL.jpg
[Broken External Image]

http://www.stuhrling.com/Mens/Aquadiver/417.02.html

The Stuhrling is an awesome watch. 44mm case, screw down crown, and it's a quartz. A Swiss quartz to boot, but for some reason I thinking of giving an auto another try. :rolleyes2

GED - I like that Stuhrling a lot!

I would personally stay away from Invicta - I've read nothing really good about them (from what I understand, lot's of their claims about their watches have been proven to be lies and they're known for ripping off other manufacturers' designs).

Latest posts

Top Bottom