There I was, creeping through the woods . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly one year ago, I was at the All About U hunting ranch in search for a big boar trophy. Until this hunt, I'd only ever hunted hogs from a blind. After a day sitting in a ground blind staring at nothing, our little hunting party came to the conclusion that these hogs were too spooked to come out of the woods. We talked to the guide about our dilemma and he recommended that we stalk the woods. Had there been a big group of hunters, of course, they never would have allowed that. But, my party of three was the only group in the preserve that day. So, we mapped out our plan and I stepped into some very eerie, smelly, hoggie woods.

This revealed the weakness in my hunting plan. The owner had told us about three very large boars in the preserve--two 200 pounders and one probably near 300. I had two firearms on me. My primary gun was a scoped Contender chambered for 7-30 Waters (a dandy gun in a blind). My other gun was a tiny 9mm Beretta Nano in my backpack. In those spooky woods, I realized that any shot I took would be at 10 to 30 yards max. A scoped Contender was not the best gun for that fight and using the Nano was just silly. I followed a little creek bed downhill with the stench of decomp all around me. The creek led me to a deep washout and I just knew a hog or two would be in there. I tip-toed up to that gully and peeked down around 6 or 7 feet. Sure enough, as I was sneaking around the rim of that big hole, a big black boar charged out of a wallow under the bank and (luckily) ran the other way. He was huge. All I could see was a scope waving around in front of my face and I never got off a shot. Grrrrrr. He'd have gone onto my den's wall. I never saw him again.

So, I decided that I need something on my hip with iron sights for situations like that. Well, there's no budget for a new Model 629 so I need to make my trusty old 686 work on future hunts. I don't yet reload for .357, so I went hunting for the best factory hog load that I could find. I started a dialog with Tim Sundles at Buffalo Bore. He immediately told me that .357 wasn't ideal for hunting big hogs, but indicated that their biggest, heaviest .357 round would do in a pinch. They have a 180 grain hard-cast round that should leave the barrel at around 1,400fps and get good penetration on a big boar. Here's what it looks like:

buffbore.jpg

eb_19A_1400fps.png

This should hit with the force of a .41 magnum. It might also make quite an impression on an uninvited intruder in my home.

Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have killed only 1 boar with my handgun. It was at max 3 yards away charging at me. I used my .357 Sig in a Glock 32. One shot to the head.
Seemed pretty easy as it appeared the head was as wide as a barn door coming at me.

I would love to get another adrenaline rush like that.

Your .357 mag should be plenty with good shot placement.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's the way they used to do it in Africa. Take the charge and drop a man-eater at your feet. :thumb:

To your original post, you were lucky, I'm not sure if the boar had been coming at you if you'd been able to make a kill shot. I'm not sure if I'd want a .357, but more likely a .41 or .44 magnum loaded heavy. A charging boar isn't the easiest animal to put down.

If I was going to carry a semi-auto, it would be something in 10MM, Delta Elite, G-20.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not quite a 41 mag
250 gr Winchester 296 p0wder 18.5 gr 1,479 fps. This is a federal load 250 gr cast core hard cast fp federal premium hunting. Its a hand full in a s&W MOD 57 6 IN. I LOAD 180 gr hornady in a 357 and they are moderate in recoil at max load in a mod 19 s&w compared to this if its a hog gun you want I would go with the biggest hole in the barrel you can comfortably shoot multiple round on target quickly. The 41 is a great caliber don't misjudge it and think a 357 is close.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot two 250+ pound hogs in the head with a 22 Long rifle no issues.
Seen plenty of big bulls take a 22 to the head and drop to their knees never to get back up., I think somewhere along the hunting camp animals became bullet proof.
I was always told the 30-30 was a brush gun, Up to the day 2 elk hunters that got their elk every year with 30-30's at 250 yards... This made me rethink my 30-30 and have now stretched it's legs and have taken deer past 300 yards with a slow moving 150gr flat point.
Hogs do not turn fast either.. just step to the side and they will miss you.
I had a small one run right under my legs...running in a straight line.

Latest posts

Top Bottom